Common Issues Causing Hospital Prescription Errors
rs at the Albany Medical Center did a study of more than 2,000 near miss prescription errors. Crystal Phend wrote an article about this study for MedPage Today, which takes a more in depth look at the statistics found during this study. I simply want to describe the common types of Prescription error that were found in this study, and give you some tips on how to prevent yourself from becoming a victim.
- Sound alike drug names
- Because of the massive amounts of different drugs be sure to know the spelling of the drug prescribed to you so you can double check.
- Unfamiliarity with less commonly prescribed drugs.
- Request that you are prescribed well known drugs if at all possible.
- Wrong Dosage - over/under or duplication
- Have your doctor write down legibly what dosage they prescribed to you, and make sure that you are being administered the proper amount.