Placing a loved one in a nursing home is never an easy decision. However, when it becomes necessary, you rely on the facility to provide loving care and meet the requirements outlined in Florida Statute Chapter 400. Sometimes, unfortunately, that does not happen.
If you suspect your loved one is being neglected or abused in a Bradenton nursing home, you have the right to hold the nursing home responsible for their mistreatment. Depending on the details of your situation, your family may recover medical costs and other losses.
A Bradenton nursing home abuse and neglect lawyer can help you navigate the claims process. Call Distasio Law Firm today at (813) 259-0022 to explore your family’s legal options and get justice for your loved one.
Signs of Bradenton Nursing Home Abuse or Neglect
For many families, signs of abuse and neglect can be hard to spot. Even if you visit regularly, the staff may be on their best behavior when the family is present. If something feels off, or if your loved one has a drastic change in temperament, they may be a victim of abuse or neglect.
Other signs of Bradenton nursing home abuse or neglect include:
- Unexplainable cuts, bruises, or other injuries.
- Odd explanations for injuries
- Weight loss with no medical explanation
- Dehydration with no medical explanation
- Depression or mood swings
- Loss of interest in hobbies
- Agitation, particularly when a certain staff member is close
- Loss of medical devices or assistive devices, such as a walker, glasses, or hearing aid
- Unplugged or missing telephone in their room
- Missing valuables
- Missing mail
When you suspect your loved one is suffering abuse or neglect in their nursing facility, your first step should be to ensure their immediate safety. Then, contact a Bradenton nursing home abuse and neglect lawyer to explore your legal options.
For a free legal consultation with a nursing home abuse lawyer serving Bradenton, call (813) 259-0022
We Can Help With Your Bradenton Nursing Home Abuse or Neglect Claim
In addition to the physical pain your loved one suffered, nursing home abuse and neglect can have an emotional impact on the entire family. You may feel guilty or worry that you should have done more.
We understand how troubling this situation is, and we are here to help fight for you and your family. Here is how the Distasio Law Firm legal team can help.
During our free consultation, our firm will review the details of your loved one’s situation and evaluate your legal options. We will answer any questions you might have and make sure you fully understand your rights and legal options.
If we agree to work together, our next step is to begin building your claim. We will gather physical evidence, reports, and eyewitness testimony to prove the abuse or neglect occurred and show how it impacted your loved one’s physical and mental state. We will also establish any monetary losses you suffered.
When we take on a case, we are committed to fighting for you all the way to trial, if it makes sense to do so. Insurance companies know which firms have the resources to fight, and they are likely to take your claim more seriously with a dedicated attorney by your side. When you choose Distasio Law Firm, you and your family can rest easy knowing your case is in good hands.
Bradenton Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer Near Me (813) 259-0022
Damages Available in Your Bradenton Nursing Home Abuse or Neglect Claim
Like most personal injury cases, victims in a Bradenton nursing home abuse or neglect case are often eligible to recover compensation for their losses. The amount of compensation often varies from case to case, but may include the following types of damages:
Medicare or Medicaid may have paid for medical care that would not have been necessary if the abuse or neglect did not occur. In addition, you may have incurred medical expenses that were not necessary. Not only can we make sure Medicare and Medicaid is paid back for their losses, but we can also ensure your family is reimbursed for any medical care your loved one received due to the abuse or neglect.
Sometimes abuse or neglect causes the need for ongoing future medical care. When this happens, your family may be entitled to reimbursement for these future medical expenses as well.
Your family may also recover what are called pain and suffering losses. This is payment designed to compensate victims for the physical and emotional trauma of the abuse or neglect. And while no amount of money can heal your pain, it may make it easier to focus on healing your family rather than worrying about expenses.
If abuse or neglect at a Bradenton nursing home contributed to the loss of your loved one, your family may be eligible to recover the cost of a funeral or burial for your loved one in a wrongful death claim filed within the relevant statute of limitations imposed by Florida Statute §400.0236.
Call a Bradenton Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect Lawyer Today
As a board-certified civil trial lawyer, Scott Distasio and his team have the skills required to fight for you. Our firm provides all Bradenton nursing home abuse or neglect victims with hands-on, communicative legal care.
From the first meeting until the day your case is closed, our team works to make sure you feel confident and secure with the progress of your case. We know how important this is to you, which is why we treat every case with the care it deserves.
If your loved one is suffering from abuse or neglect in a Bradenton nursing home—or you suspect they may be—Distasio Law Firm can help. Call us now at (813) 259-0022 for a free nursing home abuse case review.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
The thought that someone at your loved one’s nursing home could have taken advantage of their vulnerability and abused or neglected them can be hard to stomach.
At Distasio Law Firm, we believe in holding these people responsible to the fullest extent of the law. Your family may be able to recover compensation in a nursing home abuse lawsuit.
While we cannot undo the abuse that happened to your loved one, we can fight to hold the perpetrators accountable.
For a free review of your case, call Distasio Law Firm today at (813) 259-0022. We want you to be confident in our services, so we represent our clients on a contingency-fee basis, where we do not take payment unless you receive a settlement or awards in court.
There are a number of types of abuse that occur in nursing homes, including:
- Physical abuse: Physical abuse includes behaviors like hitting, slapping, pinching, pushing, or any other action that brings physical harm to the patient.
- Neglect: This occurs when the elderly resident’s needs are not being met by nursing home staff. While this is sometimes intentional, it can also occur because a nursing facility is understaffed. Neglected residents may experience bedsores (pressure ulcers), dehydration, weight loss, and more.
- Medical neglect: If nursing home staff fail to administer medications or medical treatment to a resident, this can qualify as nursing home abuse. Examples of this include failure to medicate, over-medicating, or failing to address and treat symptoms in a resident.
- Sexual abuse: This occurs when an elderly person is forced to watch or take part in sexual acts.
Other forms of abuse, such as verbal and emotional, can be an indication that your loved one is being physically abused as well. If your loved one says they are yelled at, isolated, insulted, or threatened in their nursing home, they could also be experiencing physical abuse.
If your loved one experienced any of these forms of abuse, your family may be entitled to compensation. Contact Distasio Law Firm today at (813) 259-0022 to learn more and get started.
There are usually warning signs that your loved one is not receiving the care that they deserve in their nursing home. If you notice any of these signs, it could be an indication that your loved one is being abused:
- Unexplained bodily injury such as cuts or bruising
- Acting fearful, agitated, or withdrawn
- Sudden, unexplained weight loss
- Signs of dehydration or malnourishment
- No longer taking part in activities they previously loved
- The nursing home staff seems inadequate or unprofessional
- The nursing home staff are unable or reluctant to answer questions about your loved one’s care
If your gut tells you that your loved one is being abused or neglected in their Manatee County nursing home facility, or if you have proof and are ready to take action to hold the staff or nursing facility responsible, you are not alone.
Distasio Law Firm is standing by to discuss the specifics of your family’s case when you call us today at (813) 259-0022.
Victims of nursing home abuse may be able to recover compensation for a variety of damages, including:
- Cost of current and future medical treatment
- Pain and suffering
- And more
Tragically, nursing home abuse can also cause or contribute to the death of the victim. If your family member passed away in a nursing home because of abuse, you may be able to file a wrongful death case on their behalf.
In a wrongful death case, surviving family members may be able to recover compensation for:
- Funeral costs
- Costs of medical treatment prior to death
- Pain and suffering
- And more
To discuss your family’s nursing home abuse or wrongful death case, contact Distasio Law Firm today at (813) 259-0022.
It is important to be aware that there is a limit on the amount of time that you have to pursue losses after your loved one has experienced abuse or neglect. According to Florida’s statute of limitations, you have two years from the date that you knew or should have known about the nursing home abuse or neglect.
If this time limit passes, you may lose your right to sue for the abuse your loved one experienced.
If your loved one experienced nursing home abuse in Manatee County, Distasio Law Firm is here to take the burden of a legal battle off your shoulders.
When we represent your family in a nursing home abuse case, we will:
- Gather evidence, including talking to eyewitnesses and obtaining any surveillance footage that might be available within the nursing home.
- Speak with your loved one’s doctors and talk to medical experts about the implications of their injuries and the impact that it has had on their life.
- File your claim in a timely manner and negotiate with the defendant’s lawyer to pursue compensation to the fullest extent of your loved one’s damages.
- Take the case to trial if we cannot reach an agreeable settlement out of court.
If you are ready to get started or would just like a free review of your case, contact Distasio Law Firm today at (813) 259-0022. We work on a contingency-fee basis with no up-front costs to our clients.