Motor vehicle accidents can ruin your life financially, physically, and emotionally. One common accident is a side-impact collision—a dangerous type of crash that can have devastating results for victims. You have legal rights to seek compensation if a third party caused or contributed to your side-impact collision. Various types of damages may be available to help you recover financially after such an incident.
Taking legal action is not for everyone, but if you are interested in learning about what a Clearwater side-impact collisions lawyer can do for you during this challenging time, Distasio Law Firm is available to help. Call (813) 259-0022 today to speak with a team member during a free, no-obligation case review.
For a free legal consultation with a side-impact collisions lawyer serving Clearwater, call (813) 259-0022
Causes of Side-Impact Collisions
It is important to consider the possible cause—or causes—of your side-impact collision. Side-impact collisions occur when one vehicle strikes the side of another, either directly or in a sideswipe. This accident often occurs at intersections where vehicles are traveling in perpendicular directions, though it can also happen on the highway. Side-impact collisions may occur when a driver:
- Runs a red light
- Ignores a stop sign
- Makes an improper left or right turn
- Fails to yield the right of way
- Forgets to check their mirrors before merging or changing lanes
- Fails to maintain their lane
While nothing can turn back time and prevent your accident, understanding the causes will help you determine if another party was to blame, in which case you could have grounds to pursue legal action. Every accident is different, but some common causes of side-impact collisions could include one or more of the following:
- Drunk driving: drunk driving is a leading cause of accidents, such as side-impact collisions, every year. Alcohol or other impairing substances affect motor skills, reaction time, and judgment on the road.
- Distracted driving: distracted driving encompasses any action or behavior that diverts attention away from the road. Examples of distracted driving include looking at a cell phone, engaging in conversation, eating, playing with the radio or console, gazing at a sign, and more. Distracted driving is dangerous and could have played a role in your side-impact collision.
- Speeding: speeding creates the potential for forceful impacts while decreasing control over a vehicle and the amount of time drivers have to react to hazards ahead.
- Signage or traffic light malfunction: we all rely on signs to guide us on the road, but sometimes a malfunctioning light, missing stop sign, or other issues can lead to accidents. It is possible that negligence played a role if any signage was missing or not properly functioning at the time of your collision.
- Poor road conditions: slick roads, poor visibility, potholes, and other hazards can sometimes lead to accidents. In some cases, these hazards are unforeseeable. In others, drivers make bad decisions in poor conditions that lead to accidents.
Sadly, many drivers experience these accidents on the roadways every year in the United States, even when they do everything they can to stay safe. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) collects data on these and other types of traffic accidents. In 2018, the NHTSA recorded around 5,350 fatalities from side-impact collisions, making up 23 percent of all fatal collisions that year.
Clearwater Side-Impact Collisions Lawyer Near Me (813) 259-0022
Damages in a Side-Impact Collision Case
Being the victim of a side-impact collision can be traumatic in several ways. In addition to possible injuries, you could suffer emotionally, too. Expensive medical bills, property loss, and employment issues can impact your financial health as well. The damages you may recover in a side-impact collision case can help to ease these burdens.
Allow a Clearwater side-impact collisions lawyer to take over your case. When you contact Distasio Law Firm at (813) 259-0022, we can start you off with a free consultation. A team member will help you learn more about what our firm can do for your case.
Depending on your losses and injuries, you could receive various forms of compensation if your legal claim is successful. Every case is different. Therefore, many victims find it helpful to seek legal consultation prior to moving forward. If a third party caused your accident, it is possible to recover the following forms of damages and more:
- Past and present medical expenses, including rehabilitation and medication
- Future medical expenses for any ongoing treatment you require
- Lost or damaged vehicle or personal property
- Missed wages and benefits during your recovery period
- Diminished earning capacity if permanent injuries interfere with your job
- Emotional and physical suffering
Hiring a lawyer who understands the legal process can make the claims process easier for you. Rather than having to build a case for these damages yourself, your attorney can take over this and other responsibilities.
Getting Legal Help
Dealing with the effects of a side-impact collision can be difficult, leaving you with financial stress. Taking legal action against the responsible parties in your accident could result in compensation that will make life easier as you strive to recover. If you are looking for a Clearwater side-impact collisions lawyer following your accident, consider our firm.
The team at Distasio Law Firm can walk you through the legal process, starting with a free case review. We will help you better understand the steps you can take to pursue justice.
To learn more, contact us at (813) 259-0022. You could have limited time to act based on the statute of limitations, so call today.