Boating opportunities in Florida are nearly endless. Enjoying the Florida sunshine out on a boat can be a wonderful way to spend an afternoon. However, boating is not a risk-free activity. Severe injuries and deaths occur from boat accidents every year in Florida.
If you or a loved one was involved in a boat accident in Sarasota, Florida, you should know about your legal rights. You may be able to bring a personal injury lawsuit against the at-fault party and recover financial compensation for your damages. You may be entitled to compensation for your medical expenses, pain and suffering, lost income, property damage, and more.
Discuss your case with a Sarasota boating accident lawyer from Distasio Law Firm. Call our office at (813) 259-0022 for a free case evaluation today.
For a free legal consultation with a boating accidents lawyer serving Sarasota, call (813) 259-0022
Boating Injuries Are Often Caused by Negligence
Boating accidents can occur in the blink of an eye. Many of these accidents lead to serious injuries that require immediate medical intervention. Deep lacerations, broken bones, traumatic brain injuries (TBIs), and other painful injuries may result from a boat accident. These injuries can lead to expensive medical bills, lost wages from missed work, and other financial harm. You may be able to recover compensation for your financial losses through an injury lawsuit.
A Sarasota boating accident lawyer with Distasio Law Firm can help you pursue compensation for your boat accident injuries. Our team can handle boat accident cases involving:
- Boating under the influence
- Operator inattention or “distracted boating”
- Operator inexperience
- Defective boats or boat parts
- Negligence on the part of a rental company, fishing carter, or another commercial establishment
Call our office at (813) 259-0022 today for a free case evaluation.
Sarasota Boating Accidents Lawyer Near Me (813) 259-0022
Financial Compensation for Boat Accident Injuries
The amount of compensation that you may recover for boat accident injuries depends on the severity of the injuries, how your actions may have contributed to your injuries, your prognosis, and other factors. You may be entitled to compensation for damages such as:
- Lost income due to missed work
- Impairment to your future earning capacity
- Medical expenses, including future medical treatment
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Boat repair or replacement costs and other property damage
Click to contact our Sarasota Boating Accident Lawyers today
Legal Options After a Fatal Boat Accident
If you have lost a loved one in a fatal boat accident or drowning, you may be at a total loss about what to do next. One option you may have is to file a wrongful death action against the at-fault party. According to Florida Statutes §768.19, you may have a right to bring a wrongful death lawsuit if:
- Negligence or a breach of contract or warranty caused your loved one’s death
- Had they survived the boat accident, your loved one would have been entitled to bring legal action to recover damages for their injuries
At Distasio Law Firm, we understand that financial compensation can never make up for the loss of a spouse, child, parent, sibling, or another relative. However, a wrongful death lawsuit may benefit you and your family in several ways. It may allow you to hold the liable party accountable for your loved one’s death. You may also receive monetary compensation for your damages.
Damages in a Florida fatal boat accident claim may include:
- Mental pain and suffering
- Loss of the decedent’s services and support
- Loss of parental instruction and companionship experienced by surviving minor children
- The decedent’s lost wages, benefits, and potential future earnings
- Medical expenses
- Funeral expenses
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Liable Parties in a Florida Boat Accident
One of the first steps in building a strong case for damages is to determine who is liable for the accident. Liability or legal responsibility for your boat accident may fall to:
- The boat operator
- The person or entity that owns the boat
- The party that maintained or repaired the boat
- The boat rental company
- Another boat passenger
- The company that manufactured defective boat parts
- Another party who caused an injury through negligent or illegal actions
How a Sarasota Boating Accident Lawyer Can Help
To bring a successful injury lawsuit after a boat accident, you will need to establish several key components of your case:
- The defendant owed you a duty of care.
- The defendant violated the duty of care.
- Your injuries were caused by the defendant’s negligence.
- You suffered damages because of your injuries.
Evidence We May Use When Building Your Case
Our team can help you build a strong case. We may use evidence such as:
- Photographs and videos of the accident scene and boat damage
- Medical records and statements from your doctor
- Police reports
- Passenger manifestos
- Mariner logbooks
- Incident reports
- Boat maintenance records
- Rental company employment records, policies, and procedures
- Eyewitness statements
We may also consult with other professionals, such as boating accident reconstruction experts, health care professionals, and financial experts, to build the best case possible for you.
Fighting for Compensation on Your Behalf
If you are recuperating after an injury or grieving a loved one’s death, recovery should be your priority. Let Distasio Law Firm handle your boat accident claim on your behalf so that you can focus on what really matters.
We are committed to providing consistent legal support throughout your case. Our team can:
- Investigate your case and determine who is liable
- Calculate past and future damages resulting from the boat accident
- Communicate with the liable parties and/or insurance companies on your behalf
- Negotiate potential settlement offers
- Fight for a settlement that covers all of your recoverable damages
- File a personal injury lawsuit, and if needed, represent you in court
- Update you as your case develops
- Answer any questions you have throughout the process
Call for a Free Case Review Today
If you or a loved one was involved in a serious boat accident, contact a Sarasota boating accident lawyer from Distasio Law Firm today. There are important deadlines you must meet when filing your lawsuit.
There is generally a four-year statute of limitations for Florida personal injury actions, per Florida Statutes §95.11 (3)(a), but certain circumstances can reduce the statute of limitations. The state’s statute of limitations for wrongful death lawsuits is generally two years, per Florida Statutes § 95.11 (4)(d).
Get started today by contacting us at (813) 259-0022 for a free case evaluation.