If you were involved in a bus accident, you might be left with painful injuries and steep financial losses. By means of a personal injury claim or lawsuit, you may be able to recoup compensation for these losses. If you have lost a loved one in a fatal bus accident, a wrongful death claim or lawsuit can help you hold the at-fault party answerable for the death and recover compensation for damages.
A bus accident lawyer in Sarasota from Distasio Law Firm can help you understand all of your legal options. We can help you file a strong claim against the party responsible for your bus accident.
Call our office at
For a free legal consultation with a bus accidents lawyer serving Sarasota, call (813) 259-0022
A Bus Accident Lawyer Can Help You Identify the Liable Party
Typical car accident injury claims are already complicated enough. When a traffic accident involves a bus, the case often becomes even more complex. The liable party for a bus accident may be:
- The bus driver
- The driver of another vehicle
- The bus company
- A government entity such as a city or state
- The manufacturer of a defective bus part
Bringing a case against the government can be an especially challenging endeavor, as it is subject to special rules and deadlines. A bus accident lawyer in Sarasota from Distasio Law Firm can help you identify what party or parties are liable for your accident and then take swift legal action on your behalf.
Sarasota Bus Accidents Lawyer Near Me (813) 259-0022
Bus Driver Negligence and Bus Company Negligence
Buses are not equipped with the same safety features as typical cars. Bus passengers may not be wearing a seatbelt and may even be standing during a bus accident. This means that bus accidents often lead to serious injuries and sometimes even death. There are many different issues that may lead to a bus crash. Sometimes, the bus driver’s actions cause the accident. Other times, another party is liable for the crash.
Bus Driver Fatigue
Anyone driving on public roads should drive with caution and attentiveness. However, bus drivers have an especially important responsibility to drive safely. When a bus driver acts negligently behind the wheel, they put their lives and the lives of others at risk.
Fatigued driving is an especially concerning issue with bus drivers. When a bus driver is too tired to drive responsibly or falls asleep at the wheel, they can cause a horrific accident. Many bus drivers are subject to the same federal regulations as commercial truck drivers.
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) has enacted “Hours of Service” regulations that limit the amount of time a bus driver or truck driver may drive. For example, passenger-carrying drivers may not drive for more than 10 hours a day. However, these rules only apply to certain bus drivers.
The Hours of Service rules are designed to prevent drivers from driving while they are too sleepy to do so safely. Unfortunately, some commercial vehicle drivers violate these important regulations. Some bus companies even encourage drivers to drive beyond the Hours of Service limitations and falsify their driving records or logbooks.
Other Forms of Bus Driver Negligence
A driver acts negligently when they fail to act with the same level of care that a reasonable person in the same situation would have acted. Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, driving while using a cellphone, and failing to follow traffic laws may all be examples of negligence. If a bus driver’s negligence or the negligent actions of a bus company cause an accident in which others are injured or killed, they may be liable for damages.
Click to contact our Sarasota Bus Accident Lawyers today
Damages in a Bus Accident Claim
The costs that you suffered because of your injuries are called damages. Damages may be financial or non-financial. Through a personal injury claim or lawsuit, you may be compensated for your damages, like:
- Medical bills
- Future medical expenses due to physical therapy or other ongoing medical care
- Lost income due to missed wages
- Lost future earning capacity
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Fatal Bus Accident Claim Damages
If your loved one was killed in a bus accident, Distasio Law Firm offers our sincerest condolences. There is no legal action that can take away this tragedy. However, a wrongful death claim may help you:
- Hold the liable party accountable for the death of your loved one
- Recover compensation for your damages
The types of damages available through a wrongful death claim vary. You may be entitled to compensation for:
- Lost services and support provided by the decedent
- Loss of companionship and care provided by the decedent
- Grief and suffering experienced due to the loss of a child
- Medical and funeral costs
- The decedent’s lost income and benefits
A Sarasota Bus Accident Lawyer Can Help You
Our team can handle your claim so that you can concentrate on recovering from your injuries or your loved one’s death.
Our team can:
- Explain all of your legal options and help you choose a course of action with the greatest chances of success
- Investigate the circumstances of the accident and identify who is liable
- Gather evidence from event data recorders (EDR), surveillance cameras, red-light cameras, police reports, bus maintenance records, company employment records, and more
- Obtain testimony from eyewitnesses to the accident
- Consult accident reconstruction specialists and other professionals
- Calculate the total damages you sustained
- Represent you during settlement negotiations with the insurance company
- Fight for your rights in court if needed
Call Us Today for a Free Consultation
Florida personal injury and wrongful death lawsuits must be filed within the appropriate statute of limitations. According to Florida Statute § 95.11(3)(a), the statute of limitations for injury lawsuits is four years. The statute of limitations for wrongful death lawsuit is two years under Florida Statute § 95.11(4)(d). However, certain circumstances may reduce the statute of limitations.
A bus accident lawyer in Sarasota from Distasio Law Firm can help you build a strong claim for damages and provide legal support throughout your case.