If your loved one suffered physical injuries due to abuse or neglect in their Sarasota nursing home, you may be able to hold those responsible for their pain accountable. A Sarasota nursing home abuse lawyer from Distasio Law Firm may be able to recover compensation for your loved one’s medical care and other losses. Let our team review the facts of your loved one’s injuries and determine who is responsible. This will allow us to explain your legal options and help you determine what to do next.
The team from Distasio Law Firm understands that you are likely concerned and feeling stressed about your loved one’s care. We want to be your ally and support your family through this process, managing your entire case against the negligent nursing home. Call to learn how we can help you.
Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect Leaves Seniors with Physical Injuries
Physical abuse and neglectful care are surprisingly common in nursing homes. Doctors and loved ones should look out for any possible signs of mistreatment. If your loved one is a victim of abuse in a nursing home in Sarasota, you may see signs of physical injuries, including:
- Unexplained broken bones
- Unexpected bruising
- Injuries on the breasts or genitals
- Pressure sores
- Signs of medication errors
If you believe your loved one is in immediate physical danger in their long-term care facility, do not hesitate to call the police. Physical violence, neglectful care, and sexual abuse can cause injuries and infections, extended hospitalizations, and even death.
According to a report shared by the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI), physical abuse perpetrated against residents in a nursing home may include slapping, hitting, pushing, or improperly restraining. Sexual abuse could include any type of sexual activity involving a resident. Staff and volunteers should not, under any circumstances, be sexually involved with residents. Giving a resident medication to chemically restrain them or medicating them incorrectly may also qualify as abuse.
Neglect can sometimes occur unintentionally. The nursing home staff may have no intention of harming the residents but may lack the training or staffing help to provide the care they need. The administration and owners of the facility are generally liable for such shortcomings.
How a Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer at Our Firm Can Help
Our team will review your loved one’s case and determine how we can help. Our team can put in the time and resources needed to build an argument against the nursing home where your loved one suffered abuse.
Call Distasio Law Firm for your free case review. We will talk about your family member’s injuries, your discovery of their abuse, any supporting evidence you have obtained, and other case-related details. This will allow us to evaluate your options for seeking a financial recovery on your loved one’s behalf.
For a free legal consultation with a nursing home abuse lawyer serving Sarasota, call (813) 259-0022
Distasio Law Firm Fights for Nursing Home Abuse Victims
A Sarasota nursing home abuse lawyer from Distasio Law Firm may take action for your family to hold nursing home administrators, staff members, or others responsible for your loved one’s injuries.
Distasio Law Firm puts our clients first and helps them seek justice for their loved ones who suffered abuse or neglect. Abuse and neglect is something no one should have to endure. Those responsible should be held accountable to the fullest extent possible, whether via an insurance claim or civil suit.
We Also Help Those Who Lost a Loved One to Nursing Home Abuse
At Distasio Law Firm, we seek to secure a payout for our clients that justly covers their damages. We also pursue wrongful death damages for families whose loved one died from their nursing home abuse. These damages may be available to certain family members and are detailed under Florida Statutes § 768.21.
You can talk to a team member from Distasio Law Firm today to go over your case, your loved one’s future care needs, and other key details. We can assess your options for holding the nursing home accountable.
Sarasota Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer Near Me (813) 259-0022
Recoverable Damages in Nursing Home Abuse Cases
Civil courts in Florida grant justice through financial settlements and judgments. When a nursing home resident suffers harm at someone else’s hands, a financial recovery is a way for loved ones to get justice. Our firm works hard to secure such recoveries.
In your loved one’s case, a financial settlement or judgment may cover:
- Their pain and suffering: Abuse causes physical pain and lasting trauma. In civil cases, these and other non-economic damages are known as “pain and suffering.” Our team will assign a value to your loved one’s pain and suffering. We’ll also seek coverage for any trauma-related treatment that your loved one requires.
- The cost of relocation: Moving expenses and other relocation costs may be part of your loved one’s settlement or judgment.
- Medical care: X-rays, evaluations, surgery, hospitalization, and other abuse-related healthcare costs should not be a victim’s responsibility. Any medical care your loved one needs for symptoms of abuse may entitle them to coverage.
- The cost of their time at the nursing home where the abuse occurred: Victims should not have to pay to be abused. Your loved one may be reimbursed for their time at the nursing home where the abuse happened.
If your loved one has any other economic or non-economic losses related to their abuse, we’ll add them to their case.
Distasio Law Firm Will Lend Our Experience to Your Case
If your loved one is the victim of nursing home abuse, you’ll want to hire a firm that understands how to handle nursing home abuse cases.
Our firm not only understands how to complete these cases, but we also have a record of success. Our recoveries in nursing home mistreatment cases include:
- A $1.7 million settlement: Our clients lost their loved one because a nursing home failed to monitor them properly. The decedent died after choking to death. In two previous instances, others had witnessed the victim struggling to eat their food. Nurses testified that the nursing home was understaffed, and we were able to negotiate a settlement for our clients.
- A $750,000 settlement: We recovered a settlement for the family of a man who suffered severe dehydration in a nursing home. Despite complaining about pain in his leg, the client did not receive a prompt medical evaluation. When he did finally receive medical care, the man required a leg amputation and eventually died. Nursing home staff testified that the facility lacked proper staff, contributing to the lack of proper care for residents.
- A $450,000 settlement: We obtained this settlement for a nursing home resident who suffered severe pressure sores. The sores eventually developed into rotting tissue. The nursing home could not prove that it had provided care to prevent such pressure sores and settled to cover the victim’s damages.
Our experience in nursing home mistreatment cases could be a credit to your loved one’s case. In addition to our experience, our firm offers financial resources, a robust staff, and the compassionate representation that every case requires. We’re also familiar with the Sarasota area and will lead your loved one’s case from start to finish.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Deadline for Filing a Lawsuit in a Nursing Home Case in Sarasota
It is important to file a lawsuit against the liable parties who hurt your loved one before the deadline arrives, or you may lose the right to do so. Under Florida Statutes § 400.0236, there is a time limit for beginning this process. That option generally expires two years from the date you became aware of the abuse or should have known your loved one was a victim, though exceptions may apply. A two-year deadline also applies for wrongful death cases under Florida Statutes § 95.11.
At Distasio Law Firm, we want to ensure your family can take legal action on behalf of your loved one if necessary. Contact our team to review your case as soon as you can following your discovery of their injuries.
Speak with a Member of Our Nursing Home Abuse Team for Free
A Sarasota nursing home abuse lawyer from Distasio Law Firm may be able to hold the nursing home administration or others who caused your loved one’s injuries responsible. We have team members available now to review your nursing home abuse case and offer our recommendations for seeking justice.
You can reach Distasio Law Firm about your Sarasota nursing home abuse case today. We provide complimentary initial consultations for families whose loved ones experienced physical injuries caused by nursing home neglect or abuse.