A 2017 report from the World Health Organization (WHO) showed that over 1 million people in the United States suffer from medication injuries. If you believe your pharmacist has made an error in filling or dispensing your prescription medicine, you may be entitled to compensation. A Tampa pharmacy malpractice lawyer from Distasio Law Firm can help.
Florida Statutes § 465 regulates pharmacists, certain pharmaceutical procedures, and standards for this profession throughout the state. When a pharmacist makes an avoidable mistake that causes you or your loved one harm, they may be liable for your damages. An attorney from our firm who handles pharmacy malpractice will help you hold the at-fault party liable and encourage them to uphold a higher standard of care.
How Medication Errors Occur
Like any other medical professional, a pharmacist owes a duty of care to the patients they distribute medications to. The following are some of the ways a pharmacist’s carelessness could seriously harm you:
- Giving you the wrong medication
- Giving you the wrong patient’s medication
- Putting the wrong medication in the bottle
- Telling you to take the wrong dosage
- Giving you a contraindicated medication
- Failing to take your medical history into account
- Failing to identify drug allergies
- Failing to screen for dangerous drug interactions
- Failing to confirm an unclear prescription with your doctor
A pharmacist’s error can cause you to end up with hospital bills, missed work, and other damages. When this happens, your best option may be to ask a pharmacy negligence lawyer in Tampa to help you file a claim.
For a free legal consultation with a pharmacy medical malpractice lawyer serving Tampa, call (813) 259-0022
Can a Lawyer Help You Sue a Pharmacy for Negligence in Florida?
If you or a loved one is a victim of a pharmacist’s negligent and harmful action or inaction, you might be able to sue the pharmacy where the pharmacist works. However, filing a lawsuit can require navigating a complicated legal system. As a result, you may want help from our firm.
Proving another party’s negligence requires establishing their responsibility to keep you safe, their breach of this responsibility, and how this breach led to your injuries and damages. Our Tampa pharmacy malpractice lawyer can help establish these facts in court. To do so, our attorney can:
- Gather evidence of the other party’s negligence and the harm it caused
- Work with medical and financial experts to validate your damages
- Stand up for you against the other party’s insurer and lawyers
- Represent you during legal proceedings
The Distasio Difference
Our legal team has extensive knowledge of personal injury law in Florida. In addition, we work exclusively on personal injury cases, like medical malpractice cases, so we’re well-prepared to handle cases like yours.
Our personal injury attorney, Scott Distasio, founded the firm on one simple principle—every client deserves a personalized experience with their lawyer. That personal touch means we will go the extra mile to understand your case and won’t cut corners to fight for the compensation you need, even if that means going to trial.
The Distasio Personal Touch
Our team works hard to offer worthwhile, dependable, and transparent services to our clients. We would be honored to represent you and seek to hold the negligent pharmacy responsible for your or your loved one’s damages. When you choose Distasio Law Firm, you get the Distasio Difference, which means:
- A proactive approach to client updates: We won’t leave you in the dark when it comes to the status of your case. If something happens, we’ll reach out to inform you and discuss your next steps.
- Compassionate communication: We want to know what you’ve been through so our team can fight for your best interests.
- Accessibility: We believe you should not have to chase down your legal team. When you have questions or concerns, we will be available to address them.
- Honesty and advocacy: Our team will never shy away from the truth when speaking with you about your case. Meanwhile, we will be your fierce advocates throughout the proceedings.
- Comprehensive legal services: We handle every phase of the personal injury process, from the initial investigation to presenting your case in court.
Our attorney will apply each of these tenets to your case when we represent you.
Tampa Pharmacy Medical Malpractice Lawyer Near Me (813) 259-0022
When Should You Contact a Lawyer for Pharmacy Malpractice?
Florida Statutes § 95.11(4)(b) establishes a two-year statute of limitations for pharmacy malpractice lawsuits, so plaintiffs have two years from the date of an incident to file a lawsuit. However, this window may change in specific circumstances, such as when a patient didn’t discover their injury within this timeframe. Another exception includes if the injured party was a minor when the pharmacy error occurred.
However, there is no guarantee that anyone will get an extension beyond the standard two years, no matter the circumstances. That’s why it’s important to contact a medical malpractice lawyer who specializes in pharmacy malpractice as soon as possible.
Plaintiffs also have two years from the date of an incident to file a wrongful death lawsuit for the loss of a loved one. By contacting a medical malpractice lawyer from our firm right away, you’ll help them meet the deadline for filing a wrongful death lawsuit.
What Does It Cost to Hire a Pharmacy Malpractice Lawyer?
Our Tampa pharmacy malpractice attorney represents clients without any fees up front. We work on a contingency fee basis, which means we receive our compensation at your case’s conclusion—this could be when we reach a settlement or when we win in court. If we don’t win your case, you don’t pay. During our initial consultation, we’ll go over our fees and explain what you can expect.
How Working on a Contingency Basis Helps You and Us
Our contingency fee arrangement means you do not have to let your financial situation dictate whether you hire our firm or not. We level the legal playing field by fronting all the costs for your case so you can focus on recovering. Then, we only take our fee out of the settlement or court award you receive—never out of your pocket.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
What Compensation Is Available for Victims of Pharmacy Errors?
Pharmacist mistakes can cause the victims tremendous harm and potentially lead to other injuries, such as a worsening health condition or a fall. The following are some damages our team may be able to recover as compensation after pharmacy malpractice:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Physical impairment
- Mental impairment
- Any other damages related to the mistake
Reporting pharmacy mistakes and malpractice can help potential future victims. In addition, reporting an error makes the pharmacy aware of the mistake and helps decrease similar errors in the future. Finally, even seemingly minor claims for temporary discomfort can result in compensation.
Compensation for Families Who Lost a Loved One
You may have lost a family member due to medical malpractice. If so, our firm wants to help you and your surviving loved ones find closure and recover compensation. We’ll take care of legal and financial matters while you focus on your family’s recovery.
Per Florida Statutes § 768.19, you can file a wrongful death lawsuit if you lost a loved one because of another party’s (e.g., a pharmacist) wrongful or negligent action or negligent failure to act. The lawsuit can hold the other party or that party’s employer accountable and help you recover compensation for some of your family’s losses, such as:
- Lost family income and other financial support
- Lost accumulation in your loved one’s estate
- Loss of companionship
- Medical care costs your loved one incurred
- Funeral, burial, and cremation costs
- Mental and emotional suffering
Pursuing compensation may seem unimportant right now, but it could help you and your family support yourselves and find a sense of closure. Our firm would be proud to help with your case.
Do I Need a Pharmacy Malpractice Lawyer to Handle My Claim?
When you file a claim against a pharmacy, you will be going up against a corporation in most cases. This means negotiating with corporate lawyers and insurers who have the resources to drag your case out for a long time, hoping you’ll give up and settle for less.
At Distasio Law Firm, we are not afraid to take on the big corporations to see that justice is served. Choosing us to represent your case means showing the defendants that you are serious about pursuing compensation and won’t be tricked into accepting less.
Our Experience Handling Tampa Pharmacy Malpractice Cases
Our firm has handled medication error cases in and around Tampa for more than three decades. We have won many verdicts for Florida clients, such as a $300,000 settlement for a client who underwent unnecessary heart surgery after receiving the wrong medication from a mail-order pharmacy.
Some of our previous clients were kind enough to leave reviews, offering additional insight into our client experience by saying:
- “Mr. Distasio and his staff have been phenomenal. They have stepped in and allowed me to focus on getting better without the stress of managing everything else on top of it. I will always be so grateful for their help. I genuinely recommend this firm.” – K. Hawkins
- “He was utmost professional and considerate. Went above and beyond with the situation.” – Luke Sabucco
- “Scott at Distasio Law Firm in Tampa, FL is great to work with! He actually cares, does a great job and explains everything in detail.” – Melody Leon
Call Distasio Law Firm for a Free Consultation Today
Do not hesitate to contact Distasio Law Firm for a free, confidential, and no-obligation consultation. We are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.