The stress of moving can make people careless or work in a frenzy. People who decide to rent a moving van to transport items may be in a rush to get the job done as quickly as possible to save costs and efforts, which can lead to mistakes when loading the van. Other movers might opt to drive the moving van themselves instead of hiring a service but find out soon enough that they might not be qualified for the task.
All sorts of reasons might be listed in why a moving van accident occurred. Even moving van companies are not exempt if the employees are also negligent when manipulating the large vehicle.
So, what happens when you get injured in a moving van accident caused by someone else? You can hire a moving van accident lawyer from Distasio Law Firm to represent you and help you fight for compensation.
Call our team at (813) 259-0022 for a free case evaluation because you might be eligible to file a personal injury claim or lawsuit and potentially receive financial compensation for your damages.
The Moving Van Company Does Not Always Cover Accidents
One of the first things our legal team might inquire about is whether the moving van driver was insured at the time of the accident. Often with moving van rental companies, these companies offer temporary auto insurance to drivers to protect their items during moves.
Insurance policies can vary by company and what they are willing to cover, but some companies like U-Haul do offer insurance policies that cover bodily injury and third-party liability coverage. However, these policies might only be put into place if the driver:
- Purchased the insurance before their move or within the timeframe of when they were required to return the vehicle (terms vary)
- Purchased an insurance policy that covers auto accidents
- Was using the company’s vehicle at the time of the accident
Your lawyer can review these insurance policies to see if your accident may be covered by the moving van’s insurance. Still, if our investigations indicate that the moving van driver or company was at fault for the accident, we may suggest filing a lawsuit against them to pursue compensation even if they claim their insurance does not cover the accident.
For a free legal consultation with a moving van accidents lawyer serving Tampa, call (813) 259-0022
Moving Van Accidents Are Often Caused by Driver Inexperience
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) issued a safety report about rental trucks in 2014 and found that of the 134 fatal crashes they reviewed, 44 percent of fatalities were caused by the truck driver or the rental truck.
Whether the moving van driver was an employee of a moving company or the actual mover, accidents involving moving vans are typically caused by driver error or inexperience. These vehicles can be awkward to maneuver because their loads consist of varying weights of different furniture items and boxes. The risk might also increase if the driver chooses to tow their vehicle with the van, which would require them to make wider turns.
Common causes of moving van accidents include:
- The van was loaded improperly, causing weight shifts during turns and stops.
- The driver did not turn widely enough or did not slow down enough to make a safe turn.
- The moving van’s mirrors were not positioned correctly, so the driver could not see well on either side of the vehicle.
- The driver did not factor enough stopping distance for the van’s weight and accidentally rear-ended another vehicle.
- The driver was speeding.
- The moving van lost balance during a turn due to the driver speeding or turning improperly.
- The driver was operating the moving van aggressively (e.g., tailgating).
- The driver was intoxicated by alcohol and/or drugs.
A lawyer from our firm can investigate the cause of your accident and formulate an argument that reveals how the other party’s negligence caused your injuries. At Distasio Law Firm, we aim to be thorough in collecting evidence for your case so that you have grounds to pursue compensation for your injuries.
Call our team at (813) 259-0022 today for a free case evaluation. We can start working on your case as soon as you call.
Tampa Moving Van Accident Lawyer Near Me (813) 259-0022
You May Be Entitled to Receive Compensation for Your Accident
When building your moving van accident case, your lawyer will assess what kind of damages you might be entitled to claim in your demand letter for compensation. In personal injury law, damages may be divided into two categories of losses: economic losses and non-economic losses.
Economic losses are based on financial value, so these losses will have a specific cost attached to them. You may use receipts, invoices, paychecks, and other forms of money documents to prove the value of these damages. Your economic losses might include:
- Any expense you paid for medical treatment, including costs for prescription medications and support devices (e.g., a wheelchair)
- Any income or wages you lost due to your injuries or lack of transportation if your vehicle was unusable or lost because of the accident
- Costs for travel to medical appointments
- Rental fees if you needed to rent a vehicle while yours was being repaired
Non-economic losses are more physical and emotional. These losses do not have a fixed monetary cost, but they can be weighed in on your total losses to represent how the accident exacerbated your damages in your life. These losses might include:
- Pain and suffering you felt, both physical and emotional
- Loss of enjoyment in life due to life-changing injuries
- Permanent disability
- Loss of consortium
A Moving Van Accident Lawyer from Distasio Law Firm Is Ready to Serve You
If you were injured in an accident caused by a moving van driver, call Distasio Law Firm at (813) 259-0022 for a free case evaluation to see if you qualify to file a personal injury claim or lawsuit. A moving van accident lawyer from our firm can help you pursue financial recovery of your damages from the negligent party or parties involved in your case.
Our team takes care to be as responsive to our clients’ needs as possible. We understand how life-changing certain accidents can be, particularly motor vehicle accidents involving large trucks like a moving van. Let us know how your accident has affected your life, and reach out to Distasio Law Firm today for a free consultation.