Slip and fall accidents happen every day across the state of Florida, and while they are often just an accident, in some cases, they are caused by the negligent behavior of one or more parties.
If you are suffering and in pain because of a Zephyrhills slip and fall accident caused by someone else’s negligence, you have the right to hold that person responsible for their behavior. The team at Distasio Law Firm is here to help.
Our law firm was founded on the principle that every client deserves hands-on service from their lawyer. Though we cannot undo the accident and take away your pain, we can take the steps necessary to hold the negligent party responsible for their actions.
For a free, no-risk review of your case, contact Distasio Law Firm today at (813) 259-0022.
For a free legal consultation with a slip and fall injury lawyer serving Zephyrhills, call (813) 259-0022
Types of Injuries That Occur in a Slip and Fall Accident
There are many injuries that can occur in a slip and fall accident, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, including:
- Broken arms: a broken arm is a common injury in a slip and fall accident, especially if the victim stretches out an arm to try to stop their fall. Broken arms can require surgery and months of limited activity to heal properly.
- Knee injuries: ligament tears, sprains, dislocations, and fractures are possible knee injuries in a fall.
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs): falls that cause a blow to the head can result in a TBI. TBIs can affect emotional functioning, memory, sensation, or movement.
- Hip fractures: according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, falls are the cause of over 95% of hip fractures. A broken hip is a serious condition that can limit mobility, especially for those 65 and older.
- Spinal cord injuries: the spinal cord can be injured in a fall. Accident victims who suffer a spinal cord injury may require assistive devices to cope with the loss of mobility.
It is recommended that you seek medical care for a full diagnosis of your injuries as soon as possible after your fall. Not only can early treatment accelerate your recovery, but evidence from your doctor linking your injuries to your fall may be useful in your case.
Zephyrhills Slip and Fall Injury Lawyer Near Me (813) 259-0022
Establishing Liability After a Slip and Fall Accident
In order to prove that another person is responsible for your accident, a slip and fall injury lawyer in Zephyrhills must first establish that they were negligent and did not behave as a reasonable person would have. The four elements that must be present to prove negligence are:
- Duty of care: the defendant owed the plaintiff a duty of care, such as to keep their premises in a safe condition and to warn guests of any danger that may exist there.
- Breach of duty: the defendant behaved in a way that breached the reasonable standard of care by allowing a premises hazard to exist and neglecting to warn guests.
- Injury: the plaintiff was hurt in a fall that occurred as a result of this premises hazard.
- Causation: the injuries that the plaintiff sustained were a direct result of the defendant’s breach of duty.
Accordingly, slip and falls can occur in spaces like stores, apartment complexes, offices, parking lots, and more. Common causes of slip and falls include things like liquid on the ground, cracked or uneven concrete, and even poor lighting.
If you think another party may be liable for your slip and fall accident, call Distasio Law Firm today at (813) 259-0022 to see how a slip and fall injury attorney in Zephyrhills can help.
Florida is a comparative fault state, meaning liability can be shared. If you are found at all responsible for the accident, your damages will be reduced by the degree to which you were responsible.
In some cases, the defense will try to use comparative fault to argue that you, as the plaintiff, are at least somewhat responsible for causing the accident. Comparative fault is often used by the defense to claim you were more responsible than you really are. A slip and fall lawyer can defend you against these underhanded tactics.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
How the Statute of Limitations Can Impact Your Claim
Florida places a limit on the amount of time you have to pursue compensation from another party after a personal injury accident.
In Florida, the statute of limitations is four years. If you do not file your personal injury claim within four years of the date of the accident, you may be barred from recovering any type of compensation.
Types of Recoverable Damages After a Slip and Fall Accident
Every case is different, so we cannot estimate damages for your case without first examining the details of the accident. That said, some types of damages that victims do recover in cases like this include:
- Medical costs
- Pain and suffering
- Lost wages
- Future wages if you are unable to return to work
- Out-of-pocket expenses
Sadly, not every slip and fall accident victim survives the seriousness of their injuries. When this occurs, the family has the right to pursue a wrongful death claim. Some types of recoverable damages after wrongful death include:
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of support and protection
- Loss of wages and benefits provided by the deceased
- Burial and funeral costs
- Medical expenses left to the family to pay
To discuss the damages that may recoverable in your case, reach out to Distasio Law Firm today at (813) 259-0022.
How the Slip and Fall Injury Lawyer at Distasio Law Firm Can Help
We understand how traumatic a slip and fall accident can be, especially if you sustained serious injuries.
Fortunately, you do not need to fight for compensation alone. A slip and fall lawyer in Zephyrhills from Distasio Law Firm may be able to represent your slip and fall case while you concentrate on your recovery.
For a free review of your case, contact Distasio Law Firm today at (813) 259-0022.