The amount of compensation you can recover in Florida depends on several things. When you present your case to a personal injury lawyer, they will use a number of factors to determine your compensation. Generally, your lawyer looks at:
- The severity of your injuries
- The burden placed on your family
- The egregious nature of the defendant’s actions
- The level of disability you suffer after the accident
- Additional losses you might have incurred
Unfortunately, your attorney cannot guarantee any level of compensation. They merely use the factors above to calculate exactly how much you are owed. While one case might have rendered a small judgment, another might end in a large settlement. You cannot be sure until the case is resolved.
What Types of Compensation Are Available?
Your attorney will also calculate the total value of your damages. This includes economic damages, which take into account your monetary expenses related to the accident. It also includes non-economic damages such as the physical and emotional pain the accident caused. They include:
- Medical expenses, which could include surgeries, emergency care, medications, physical therapy, mental health counseling, transportation, etc.
- Lost income, which includes all the money you should have made if the accident had not occurred.
- Lost earning potential, which accounts for the money you should have made if you could have continued your career normally.
- Pain and suffering, which accounts for the physical pain that diminishes your quality of life.
- Emotional distress, which accounts for the psychological symptoms you experience after the accident.
- Loss of consortium, which accounts for broken or lost relationships and isolation that you experience after the accident.
For a free legal consultation, call (813) 259-0022
When Do You Need to File Your Personal Injury Claim?
You should file your personal injury case as soon as possible. Keep in mind, Florida imposes a four-year statute of limitations on personal injury cases under Florida Statutes § 95.11(3)(a) and a two-year statute of limitations for wrongful death actions under Florida Statutes § 95.11(4)(d). Even though you and your attorney have a considerable amount of time to file, you should bring your case to light as soon as possible.
Hiring a lawyer soon after the accident ensures that there is evidence to review. You should also bring forth any information you have so that it does not go stale. There are times when victims have collected information after an accident, but it is lost in the intervening time between the incident and any legal action they bring. You do not want evidence to fall through the cracks or get lost because you waited too long to bring legal action.
How Do You Prove You Deserve Compensation?
Your attorney will use all the evidence you provide and investigate the accident. The information they gather will be used to calculate your damages. It is important to remember that, while you have information from the accident, your attorney will thoroughly investigate, review police reports, check security video, and review your recollection of the accident.
Your attorney will build a case using that information, arguing on your behalf either in a settlement meeting or in court. Remember, you are not required to speak on your own behalf during these meetings. Your attorney supports you through all these events, and they are also prepared to seek an appeal if you are given an unfair judgment or settlement.
Work with a Lawyer Who Specializes in Florida Car Accident Cases
When you work with Distasio Law Firm, you can count on the more than 30 years of experience the firm has handling these types of cases. Our team never cuts corners or hesitates to take your case to trial if a fair settlement cannot be reached.
Here is just a sample of some of the settlements and verdicts we have obtained for our car accident clients:
- $1,000,000.00 Settlement in Tampa – For a woman who was hit head-on by a truck and needed spinal fusion surgery as a result.
- $480,000.00 Verdict in Tarpon Springs – For a client who was hit by a speeding driver and required several surgeries as a result.
Our car accident attorney will provide the same commitment and dedication to your case as these past clients. We will present your case before a judge and jury and fight to get you the best possible outcome.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Call Distasio Law Firm For Help Today
Hiring a lawyer to assist you with your claim can be beneficial because they have the experience necessary to seek appropriate compensation. This is especially important because their services include both negotiation and arguing at trial. Additionally, your attorney is prepared to handle all meetings, hearings, and communications.
Call Distasio Law Firm at (813) 259-0022 for help with your case today. The initial consultation is free, and there is no obligation. Our firm works on a contingency-fee basis, which means you pay nothing out of pocket, and we take our fee out of the settlement we get for you.