Are you interested in filing a Florida TDF lawsuit? You should know that our skilled dangerous drugs attorneys are currently filing TDF lawsuits on behalf of Florida residents against Gilead Sciences Inc, the maker of the drug Tenofovir Disoproxil Fumarate (TDF). If you or a loved one has taken TDF and suffered certain side effects, a Florida TDF lawsuit may be the way to hold Gilead accountable.
Call us at or fill out a contact form to schedule a free consultation with one of our dedicated legal professionals from Distasio Law Firm. Let us discuss how we can assist you in holding the liable party accountable and recover damages on your behalf.
What Is TDF?
Tenofovir Disoproxil Fumarate is an antiviral medication used to treat and control HIV. TDF suppresses the amount of HIV in the body, so your immune system functions better. Gilead has sold TDF under the brand names:
TDF is not a cure for HIV. Instead, it helps keep the virus under control and helps prevent it from escalating into AIDS.
TDF belongs to a class of HIV medicines known as nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors (NRTIs). They work by blocking an HIV enzyme called reverse transcriptase. With this mechanism, TDF prevents the HIV virus from multiplying and significantly reduces its amount in the body. This drug has helped HIV patients live longer and decreased their likelihood of spreading the disease to others.
There is a strong downside of taking TDF because it has a very low bioavailability, which means the body does not readily absorb it. So, extremely high doses of TDF are necessary for it to be effective. Because of the high doses used, studies have linked it to an increased risk of causing kidney and bone damage.
Why Are Florida Residents Filing TDF Lawsuits?
According to the LA Times, Gilead knew about the drug’s ability to cause bone and kidney damage before obtaining FDA approval to sell TDF. Worse yet, while Gilead was getting FDA approval to sell TDF, it was simultaneously researching a different version of the drug called TAF. This other drug was more effective against HIV and was far less likely to cause kidney or bone damage. Gilead chose to sell TDF instead of the TAF, the safer and more effective alternative.
The TDF lawsuits allege Gilead executives knowingly exposed HIV patients to the increased risk of kidney and bone damage caused by TDF instead of immediately bringing TAF to market. Gilead obtained a patent on TDF, preventing other drug companies from selling its generic version. Gilead then sold TDF without competition until the patent ran out. Once the patent expired, Gilead applied for and received FDA approval to sell TAF, the more effective and safer drug. Because Gilead has a patent on TAF, it can now sell it without competition until its expiration.
Scientific Studies Demonstrate TDF Is Toxic to Bones and Kidneys
The original formulation of the drug was administered intravenously. In 1997, Gilead found a way to turn it into a pill. TDF lawyers allege that Gilead knew as early as year 2000 that prolonged use of TDF’s pill version in high doses would cause severe kidney and bone damage. After the drug’s commercial release in 2001, non-Gilead scientists began studying its side effects. The scientists involved in the research confirmed what Gilead allegedly already knew. Below are some of the current results of those studies:
- In 2018, TDF treatment was linked to bone density loss. Researchers concluded that switching to another HIV drug caused bone density loss to improve.
- In 2016, TDF was found to cause a one to three percent larger bone mineral density loss than other HIV medications.
- In 2015, HIV patients that received drugs other than TDF were found to have significantly fewer kidney and bone health issues.
- In 2010, a strong correlation was found between ingesting TDF and bone density loss.
- In 2018, TDF was found to impact the renal function of HIV patients with Hepatitis B.
- In 2017, researchers found that TDF use over time is significantly associated with the development of chronic kidney disease.
- In 2013, a link between TDF and kidney disease was found.
- In 2010, TDF was associated with a significant loss of kidney function.
Gilead Knew TAF Was Safer Than TDF as Early as 2001
TDF lawsuits allege that Gilead was already working on finding a safer alternative to TDF when it began selling the drug in 2001. In April of 2001, it published research of TAF that showed it was much more effective at treating HIV and that it might be far less toxic. Gilead even paid doctors to use TAF in small clinical trials. Although the results were promising, Gilead chose not to publish them. Instead, in 2004, Gilead chose to abruptly end its research into TAF while making billions of dollars selling TDF.
In 2009, as TDF’s patent was expiring, Gilead suddenly began researching TAF again. By 2015, FDA approved TAF for commercial use. At that time, Gilead started encouraging doctors to switch their patients to TAF to reduce the possible harm to their kidneys and bones.
Injuries Associated With TDF
TDF lawyers believe that patients can sustain the following injuries by taking TDF:
- Kidney failure
- Kidney damage
- Acute Kidney disease
- Chronic Kidney disease
- Fanconi syndrome
- Tubular dysfunction
- Bone fractures
- Bone loss
You Can Receive Compensation for Your Injuries
TDF has the potential to impact the lives of innocent HIV patients in many ways. They may incur different types of kidney diseases and bone damages which may take extensive medical care. A Florida attorney from Distasio Law Firm can help you recover compensation for expenses associated with TDF-related treatments through a lawsuit.
Some of the damages you can seek to recover include costs for medications, dialysis, surgeries, hospitalizations, medical equipment, diagnostic testing, and more.
You can also obtain compensation for lost wages or a reduction in earning capacity if the prolonged use of TDF caused it.
Additionally, you can receive damages for pain and suffering you have suffered from the side effects of TDF use. This includes compensation for insomnia, chronic pain, depression, mental anguish, loss of mobility, and more.
If a loved one has died from the side-effects of TDF, their loved ones may also be eligible to receive compensation for funeral expenses, loss of companionship, and more.
How to Prove a TDF Drug Caused You Harm
If you took a TDF-containing drug that you think is responsible for your current health injuries, there are several pieces of evidence you can use to build your case. Your lawyer will collaborate with you in obtaining necessary evidence and demonstrating to the culpable insurance company or judge how this drug caused you damages.
Some of the types of evidence that can be used for this purpose include:
- Medication receipts
- Medical records that show that you were prescribed a TDF drug
- Medical records that document your physical and mental health struggles
- Financial records that show wage loss or change in employment
- Photographs of your injuries
Along with the evidence, your attorney will also be able to gather testimonies and statements from medical experts and eyewitnesses to develop a compelling claim for you.
Our Seasoned Attorneys Can File a Florida TDF Lawsuit on Your Behalf
Giant pharmaceutical companies have significant funds readily available to hire top lawyers who can squash victims’ efforts to gain justice. But large corporations must be held accountable for the harm they have caused avoidable injuries to millions of immune-compromised patients who used the TDF drug thinking it was safe.
TDF lawyers at Distasio Law Firm have worked on similar cases before involving prominent corporations in pharmaceutical and other domains. We know what it takes to fight for your right and path to justice. Our legal team will:
- Handle the paperwork associated with filing a claim.
- Obtain evidence from various medical providers, employers, law enforcement, and other key experts or witnesses involved in your case.
- Handle communication with lawyers and insurance carriers related to your case.
- Review and negotiate settlement offers on your behalf.
- If a fair out-of-court settlement is not possible, we will fight your case in court.
TDF lawsuits are not part of a class action. Instead, they are filed on an individual basis. Our Florida lawyers will gather the evidence for your claim and decide where to file your TDF lawsuit. Note that individual Florida TDF lawsuits may get consolidated into a multi-district litigation, which means the one judge will decide things for all TDF lawsuits. However, each lawsuit will remain separate, and compensation will be determined based on the merits and damages for each case.
No Fee Unless We Get a Recovery on Your Behalf
If you have suffered kidney damage or bone damage from taking a TDF drug, give us a call.
Distasio Law Firm serves clients throughout the sunshine state. It is our mission to make corporate wrongdoers take responsibility for their negligent actions.
We work on a contingency fee-basis; this means you do not owe us anything unless we get compensation for you. Furthermore, we will provide you with a free case evaluation. Contact us or fill out our online contact form to see if we are a mutual fit.
The Distasio Law Firm Difference
How do you know if you have hired the best TDF lawsuit lawyer in Florida? The simplest way to know is to find a lawyer with all the below characteristics.
- Knowledge and Understanding of TDF Lawsuit Injury Claims: Along with knowing the full extent of harm that TDF stands to cause, the lawyer should also have years of experience handling mass torts and defective drug cases. Scott Distasio has been handling these cases for over 30 years. His years of experience investigating, negotiating, settling, filing lawsuits, taking depositions, and going to trial will absolutely make a difference in your case.
- Independent Verification of the Lawyer’s Ability: All attorneys claim they know what they are doing. Their marketing materials may also be persuasive. But independent non-biased rating entities can cement a lawyer’s capabilities further. Scott Distasio has an “AV rating” by Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory. This is the highest rating an attorney can receive for both ability and ethics. Scott Distasio is also Board Certified by the Florida Bar in Trial law. A lawyer must have tried a minimum number of cases to a jury and passed a competency exam to achieve this accomplishment. Less than 1% of all Florida lawyers are Board Certified.
- Willingness and Ability to Go to Trial: Not all personal injury cases go to trial. The truth is most cases settle out of court. But if your case needs to go to trial, it’s crucial to hire a law firm with the experience, resources, and ability to try your case. Scott Distasio is a board-certified civil trial lawyer.