Stribild® is an antiretroviral drug used to treat people with HIV so that they can block the virus from developing into AIDS. However, in recent years, this pharmaceutical drug has been found to cause serious side effects in consumers, some of which include kidney and liver failure. If you or a loved one suffered injuries while taking this medicine, you may be entitled to compensation.
Our legal team at Distasio Law Firm is helping people build a Florida Stribild lawsuit against Gilead Sciences, Inc., the manufacturer of the drug. We offer free case reviews to see whether you can file a civil action lawsuit against the pharmaceutical company. If so, an experienced mass torts attorney from our team can help you prepare your case.
People who Suffered Side Effects of Stribild May Be Entitled to Compensation
Since people have been coming out against Stribild about the side effects and subsequent damages they experienced because of the drug, our legal team at Distasio Law Firm has set a mission to help people in Florida stand up against Gilead Sciences.
If you or a loved one was forced to endure several kinds of damages due to negative side effects from long-term Stribild use, we want to help you demand compensation for these losses. To begin, one of our team members can review your case for free and begin categorizing your losses, which we explain below.
Economic damages are straightforward in that they already have a financial value and can be proven with related documents, such as receipts or salary records. We can calculate these damages to start getting an idea of how much compensation to pursue.
These damages may include:
- Medical care costs: We can account for several types of medical expenses required to treat the side effects you developed from Stribild use. This may include costs for doctor’s appointments, imaging exams, bloodwork, surgeries, hospitalization, and emergency room treatment.
- Income loss: If your health took a turn for the worse and required you to miss work to get treatment or recover, we can account for any wages or benefits you lost during this time. If your condition is ongoing, long-term, or permanent, we can also calculate how much income you might lose until you recover (if possible).
- Reduced earning potential: If your injuries prevent you from returning to your previous work position, we may factor the difference in salary if you must take a lower-paying position or leave your career altogether. This could also include lost opportunities for job promotions and raises.
If you faced other expenses that can be tied to your Stribild use, we can also factor this into your damages total.
With a Stribild lawsuit in Florida, you may also be able to pursue compensation for non-financial damages. These damages are based on the physical and emotional losses you suffered as a result of the drug’s side effects, so our team would have to assign a financial value that reflects the extent of damage you felt.
Non-economic damages may include:
- Pain and suffering: This includes physical and emotional pain. Things like chronic pain and emotional distress fall under this category.
- Permanent disability: If the side effects of Stribild led to a long-term or permanent disability, we can help you account for this loss. This can include any loss in previous hobbies or activities you used to enjoy that are no longer possible due to your limitations.
- Diminished quality of life: If your injuries required multiple accommodations to meet your needs or forced you to give up certain aspects of your life, including relationships you had with others, this can be considered a reduction in your quality of life.
The damages we listed in this section are just a few examples, so we may suggest other types of losses based on what we discover in your case.
Our Legal Team Can Help You Build Your Stribild Lawsuit in Florida
If you decide to hire a personal injury lawyer from Distasio Law Firm, you also get the benefit of having our legal team work together to build your case. Our legal services include:
- Investigating your case: When it comes to building a case against a negligent pharmaceutical company, our team will need to gather information about how the manufacturer is liable for your injuries. This may involve consulting medical professionals, reviewing your medical records, and seeing whether there is research that supports the connection between Stribild and your health condition.
- Gathering evidence for your case: As we establish key facts of your case, we will also collect evidence that supports your claims. Evidence can range from photos of your injuries (including X-rays and MRI images) to expert witness testimony from medical practitioners who can speak on the nature of your case.
- Handling administrative work in your case: Our team can accept calls and other messages you receive from inquiring parties, such as the manufacturer’s insurance company or legal team. This allows us to protect your case by responding with approved statements. We can also handle paperwork involved in your case and alert you of legal deadlines.
- Representing you in various legal appearances: One of our personal injury lawyers will act as your legal representative throughout your case while our team helps them prepare information to present. They can serve as your advocate during out-of-court negotiation meetings if a settlement deal is viable, or they can present your case in trial in front of a judge and jury.
One of our team members can discuss more services we provide clients like you in a free consultation. At Distasio Law Firm, we pride ourselves in giving clients the “Distasio Personal Touch,” meaning we work hard to have your story heard so that you may receive justice.
We want to Help You Hold Gilead Sciences, Inc., Accountable for Their Negligence
As far back as 2009, antiviral drugs like Stribild®, Atripla®, Complera®, and Truvada® have been found to cause serious side effects in consumers due to the active ingredient tenofovir disoproxil fumarate (TDF). Medical journal AIDS found that long-term exposure to TDF could lead to kidney failure, liver failure, and bone mineral loss, among other serious conditions.
Even Clinical Info reports current information on serious effects caused by Stribild and related drugs, which include:
- Flare-ups in people who also have hepatitis B virus infection (HBV)
- Other bone problems, such as bone thinning
- Immune system changes
- Lactic acidosis, which causes the blood to experience abnormal lactic acid buildup
Taking Stribild with certain medications can also lead to other health problems. You may need to discuss this with your physician if you are experiencing abnormal side effects not listed here.
Is There Current Action Being Taken Against Gilead Sciences, Inc.?
In recent years, there have been lawsuits filed against Gilead Sciences, such as Devin Martinez and Ricardo Wohler v. Gilead Sciences, Inc., and an action filed by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
In both of these cases, allegations made against Gilead Sciences involve the following:
- Gilead Sciences failed to give accurate reports to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) when describing the safety profile of Stribild and similar drugs.
- Gilead Sciences made efforts to misreport how and where Stribild and similar drugs were manufactured.
- Gilead Sciences kept Stribild and similar drugs on the market despite producing a safer antiretroviral drug that the FDA approved.
Our legal team at Distasio Law Firm aims to emphasize these points and also build a case to prove how the company’s gross negligence affected you personally. If you would like to learn more about what kind of arguments our team may be able to make on your behalf in a Stribild lawsuit in Florida, we are available for a free consultation by phone.
Get in Touch with Distasio Law Firm to Start Building Your Stribild Lawsuit in Florida
If you live in Florida and suffered injuries while taking Stribild to treat your HIV, you may be able to take action against Gilead Sciences, Inc., and hold the company accountable for its negligence. Our legal team at Distasio Law Firm can help you put your Florida Stribild lawsuit together and fight on your behalf while we pursue compensation.
Call now for a free consultation to learn how a skilled legal professional from our team can help you.