Do You Need a Tampa Auto Accident Lawyer?
If you or a loved one have been injured in a car accident, you probably have many questions that only an auto accident attorney can answer. You may be wondering:
- What type of medical care do I need in Tampa?
- How do I pay for the medical care I need?
- How do I get back the money I lost from missing work?
- Can I hold the person that caused the auto accident responsible for the harms and losses?
- Can a Tampa car accident lawyer help me?
- How do I find the best Tampa auto accident attorney?
At Distasio Law Firm, we are here to help answer these common car accident questions, guide you through the process, and get the money you need to get you back to your life. When you call our auto accident attorneys, we will listen to your problems, ask detailed questions, and put a plan together to help you. You can concentrate on healing from your injuries while we concentrate on getting you the money you will need to make up for what has happened to you. The sooner you call, the sooner we can help.
Tampa Car Accidents Lawyer Near Me (813) 259-0022
The Distasio Law Firm Difference
How do you know if you have hired the best Tampa car accident lawyer? The simplest way to know is to find a lawyer that has all the below characteristics.
- Knowledge and Experience Handling Auto Accident Cases
Your lawyer should not only know Florida car accident law. That lawyer should also have years of experience handling car crash cases. Scott Distasio has been handling car crash cases for over 27 years. His years of experience investigating, negotiating, settling, filing lawsuits, taking depositions, and going to trial will absolutely make a difference in your case.
- Independent Verification of the Lawyers Ability
All attorneys claim they know what they are doing. Their marketing materials may also be persuasive. But you will only know the truth about that lawyer if the lawyer is rated by respected independent non-biased rating systems. Scott Distasio has an “AV rating by Martindale-Hubbell law Directory. This is the highest rating an attorney can receive for both ability and ethics. Scott Distasio is also Board Certified by the Florida Bar in Trial law. To achieve this accomplishment a lawyer must have tried a minimum number of cases to a jury and pass a competency exam. Less than 1% of all Florida lawyers are Board Certified.
- Willingness and Ability to Go to Trial
Not all personal injury cases go to trial. The truth is most cases settle. But if your case does need to go to trial it’s important to hire a law firm that has the experience, resources and ability to try your case. Scott Distasio is a board certified civil trial lawyer. This gives him the right to call himself an expert trial lawyer.
Why Hire Distasio Law Firm to Help With Your Tampa Car Accident?
Most car accident law firms are settlement mills. They rarely file lawsuits and never go to trial. At these law firms, each car accident attorney handles so many files they do not have time to speak to their clients. They do not need to get you the most money for your case. They try to convince you to take the first settlement that is offered so they can move on to their next case. The insurance companies know this and offer less money to these law firms. The end result is that if you hire one of these law firms there is a good chance you will not get full value for your auto accident case.
At Distasio Law Firm we put your interests first. We are not a settlement mill. You will speak directly with your attorney about your case. Of course, we will do everything possible to settle your case as soon as possible. But sometimes it’s not in your best interests to do so. At Distasio Law Firm, we have the financial resources, the desire, and the know how to fight the insurance company to get full value for your case. If it makes sense to hold out for more and that is what you want to do, we will do so. If it makes sense to file a car accident lawsuit, we will do that too. If if makes sense to go to trial and let a jury decide your case and that is what you want to do, we know how to do that as well. In fact, Scott Distasio is a board certified civil trial lawyer. A distinction held by fewer than 1% of all Florida lawyers. This designation makes Scott Distasio an expert in trial law. That does not mean your case will go to trial. 95% of all cases settle. But it does mean that insurance companies will offer more for your case because they know that Distasio Law Firm has the financial resources and expertise to go to trial if your case needs it.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
What Should You Do After Experiencing Auto Accident Injuries?
If you have been in a car accident in Tampa, or any other city in Florida, and you are experiencing pain in any part of your body, the first thing you should do is get medical attention as soon as possible. If you can get to a health care provider on the day of the car crash, you should do so. This is important not only because you will get the care you need, but also because if you don’t the insurance company will later claim you were not hurt in the car accident. Instead, they will take the position that something must have happened to you between the time of the auto accident and the time you go to health care provider. If you are in pain from a car accident, and you have not yet been to the doctor, do not worry. All is not lost. Go to a hospital emergency room, a walk-in clinic, or a doctor immediately to document your injuries. At Distasio Law Firm, we know what evidence will convince the insurance company the auto accident caused your injuries.
It is also important to hire the right auto accident law firm as soon as possible after the car crash. Over time, evidence disappears, memories fade, and it becomes harder and harder to prove your case. When you call Distasio Law Firm, it is our job to preserve this evidence. We can help make sure photographs are taken to document the damage to the vehicles involved and document your injuries. We can also interview the witnesses now, so we do not have to rely on their memories later.
How Much is My Case Worth?
Any lawyer that tells you that your case is worth a certain amount of money is just doing so to get you to hire them. The truth is it is rarely possible to determine the value of a case immediately after a car accident. That is because it takes time to know the extent of your injuries, the cost and type of medical care you will need now and in the future, and how much lost wages you will experience now and in the future. It is only after you reach maximum medical improvement (MMI) that a lawyer can begin to answer this question. MMI occurs when your doctor has treated you long enough to know and diagnose all your injuries, when you doctor can predict what medical care you will need in the future, and when your injuries have either healed or your injuries are at their best. This usually takes about four to six months.
In Florida, the law allows a person injured in a car accident to hold the person that caused the auto accident responsible for the damages. Tampa auto accident lawyers can recover compensation for the following:
- Medical Expenses: You are entitled to the reasonable cost of all current and future medical care including, hospitalization, medical doctors, chiropractors, physical therapy, and surgery.
- Lost Wages: If the car accident causes you to lose time from work or you have to take a job that pays you less, you are entitled to recover this expense now and into the future.
- Pain and Suffering: This includes money for having to endure the physical pain as well as money for mental anguish, disfigurement, and the loss of enjoyment of life.
- Wrongful Death: When an auto accident claims the life of a loved one, spouses and children are entitled to compensation for funeral expenses and their pain and suffering.
Common Car Accident Injuries
After an auto accident you may be so hyped up on adrenaline that you do not immediately recognized you are injured. Over time, you may begin to experience neck pain, mid back pain, low back pain, or pain in any other part of your body. The most common types of injuries include:
- Whiplash: This injury is named after the violent whipping motion that you body goes through in a car crash. The most common whiplash injuries occur in your neck and your low back. As the body whips back and forth, the vertebrae bang into each other, muscles tear, and the ligaments of the spine stretch. Doctors might call these injuries sprain strain injuries.
- Herniated Discs: The soft cushiony material in your spine between each of your vertebrae are called discs. The trauma from a car crash can cause them to rupture and or herniate. The disc material can then touch nerves running through the spine which in turn causes pain and or numbness to radiate down the arms or legs.
- Broken Bones: Body parts often hit the inside of the vehicle after the impact. The most common broken bones include arms, legs, ribs and hands.
- Traumatic Brain Injuries: In an auto accident, the head whips back and forth. This causes the brain to slam into the skull bones causing swelling and even hemorrhaging. The long-term effects can include changes in personality, memory loss, and problems with anger management.
- Shoulder Injuries: Most drivers grip the steering wheel tightly during a car crash. This causes all the energy from the impact to travel through the steering wheel, up the arm, and into the shoulder. The most common types of shoulder injuries include rotator cuff tears, bicep tendon tears, and labrum tears.
Looking for a Auto Accident Attorney in Tampa? Call 813-259-0022 Today!
Types of Auto Accident Cases We Handle
At Distasio Law Firm we handle any type of auto accident case. The ones we see most often include:
- Distracted Drivers: You know these drivers. We see them all around us on the roads. They are on the phone while driving, texting while driving, putting make up on while driving, eating while driving, or simply not paying attention to the road.
- Reckless Drivers: These drivers are weaving in and out of traffic and are often in a hurry. They are often speeding or driving to fast for the road and weather conditions. They simply do not care about the risks they are taking with the lives of all the drivers around them.
- Driving While Under the Influence (DUI): This includes drunk drivers and drivers under the influence of illegal drugs or prescription medications.
- Rear-End Collision: The rear-end crash is by far the most common type of car accident. In Florida, the law presumes the rear driver is responsible for the collision.
- Driving While Tired or Fatigued: These drivers are most often driving commercial vehicles like trucks, tractor trailers, 18 wheelers, and or big rigs. They are driving too many hours in a row so they can get more loads delivered. They become so tired while driving that their reaction time slows.
- Poorly Maintained Automobiles: Some people fail to maintain their vehicles. The brakes do not work properly, the tires blow out, or the lights do not come on at night or during braking.
Fatal Car Accident Attorneys in Florida
Have you lost a loved one due to a fatal car accident? While you may be overcome with emotions and mourning the loss of a loved one, you may be able to pursue justice by holding the negligent party responsible. Distasio Law Firm wants to help, we aim to make the process as easy as possible for our clients, in order to help them move forward after a tragic loss. We want our clients to focus on family matters during this time while we handle the legal matters.
The lawsuit that you may be entering is a wrongful death lawsuit wherein you, as a representative of the decedent, is able to fight for compensation from the person responsible. There are certain time-frames in which you must file the lawsuit after the wrongful death accident, ask an attorney from our firm for more details. We are sympathetic and compassionate attorneys who understand the emotional turmoil you are going through. While nothing can bring your loved one back, we may be able to help you receive compensation for your loss. We will fight for our clients to receive compensation for all of the following damages:
- Medical expenses before the death of your loved one
- Funeral and burial costs
- Lost wages of the deceased loved one that they would have earned in their life
- Loss of spousal companionship and protection
- Loss of parental guidance, instruction and companionship
- Loss of retirement and health benefits that would have been provided by the deceased loved one
- Loss of future inheritance
- Pain and grief of the wrongful death
- Punitive damages
Proving Negligence in a Wrongful Death Car Accident
In Florida, Section 768.19 provides the statutes regarding wrongful death. The regulations are called the Florida Wrongful Death Act and it provides the grounds that dictate wrongful death action. In order to receive compensation for the loss of a loved one, you must prove negligence of the other person. In order to prove negligence under the wrongful death act, the following things must be proved:
1. The defendant owed a legal duty to a deceased
2. The defendant did not uphold the duty
3. Wrongful death was caused by the defendant’s failure to uphold the duty
4. The beneficiaries of the deceased suffered a loss from the wrongful death
When it comes to a car accident, proving negligence is almost always fulfilled due to the duty of care to other people on the road. If the other driver breaches the duty of care by failing to drive reasonably, negligence can be proven. The skilled Tampa fatal car accident lawyers from our firm thoroughly investigate all aspects of a case in order to present the appropriate evidence. Some ways to breach a duty of care on the road, includes:
- Driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Driving while distracted
- Talking on the phone or texting while driving
There are many other ways a driver can fail to act in a reasonable manner but it has to be proven that your loved one died because of the other driver’s negligent acts and not for some other reason.
Need a Fatal Car Accident Lawyer in Florida? Call 813-259-0022 Today!
We’re Here to Help You with Your Fatal Car Accident Case
Investigating into details of your loved one’s death can be devastating, which is why we do that for our clients. We may be able to help you as well, contact Distasio Law Firm today to speak with one of our lawyers. Our firm offers a free case evaluation so you can discuss your case and ask us questions at no cost to you! Contact our firm today!