While all kinds of vehicular accidents can be dangerous, ones involving motorcycles are among the most treacherous. When a motorcycle is involved in a collision, it’s often catastrophic, with major bodily harm done to the motorcyclist, especially if they were not wearing a helmet, which we highly recommend as a safety tip.
If you were injured or a loved one passed away while riding a motorcycle due to someone else’s negligence, we can help. A Tampa motorcycle accident lawyer from Distasio Law Firm can help you determine the liable party and hold them accountable in an insurance claim or lawsuit. Our attorney can pursue the compensation you need and deserve to move forward after your motorcycle injury.
For a free legal consultation with a motorcycle accidents lawyer serving Tampa, call (813) 259-0022
Damages You May Receive After a Motorcycle Accident That Was Not Your Fault
If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident in Tampa, you have likely dealt with an array of complications resulting from the accident. It is important that you know there are options available to you, particularly if the accident was caused by the other driver’s negligent or reckless behavior.
One of the best things you can do is protect yourself and ensure that a lawyer handles your legal matters correctly. If you are taking legal action, having a professional on your side can ensure you receive the guidance and representation you deserve. You may be entitled to two types of damages due to your accident: economic damages and non-economic damages.
The economic damages you have suffered are easier to calculate and may include the following:
- Past, current, and future medical bills (e.g., hospitalization, imaging tests, surgeries, rehabilitation, assistive medical devices, such as a wheelchair or crutches, prescription medications, etc.)
- Lost income (e.g., days you missed from work due to doctors’ appointments because of your accident-related injuries)
- Loss of earning capacity (e.g., the accident and your resulting injuries left you unable to continue your current job and you had to take another position that pays less)
Property damage (e.g., the costs associated with repairing or replacing your motorcycle and other property damaged or destroyed in the accident)
Non-economic damages take into account the physical and emotional trauma you have suffered because of the accident. They include the following:
- Pain and suffering (e.g., perhaps the accident has left you disabled or in chronic pain that requires daily pain medication)
- Mental anguish (e.g., the emotional toll the accident has taken on you may require ongoing counseling for issues such as insomnia, depression, or anxiety)
- Loss of enjoyment of activities (e.g., your accident-related injuries prevent you from taking part in hobbies or activities you once enjoyed, such as jogging or gardening, for example)
- Loss of consortium (e.g., if you lost a loved one in a motorcycle accident that was not your fault, you could be eligible for wrongful death benefits, such as funeral and burial costs)
Many motorbike accidents result in the immediate death of the motorcyclist, as they do not have the same external protection provided by a car’s outer shielding, and therefore have little chance of surviving a major crash with a larger vehicle.
If you lost a loved one in a motorcycle accident due to someone else’s negligence, our attorney at Distasio Law Firm may be able to bring a wrongful death action against them in Tampa for your loved one’s injury. You do not have to face this challenging time on your own. Our team will stand by your side and seek justice in your case.
Tampa Motorcycle Accidents Lawyer Near Me (813) 259-0022
Statute of Limitations for Personal Injury and Wrongful Death Cases in Tampa
Florida law limits the time you have to file a lawsuit in civil court. This deadline it sets is called the statute of limitations:
- For personal injury cases, you have four years from the accident per Florida Statutes § 95.11(3)(a).
- For wrongful death cases, you have two years from your loved one’s death per Florida Statutes § 95.11(4)(d).
Do not delay in seeking justice for your family member who passed away in a motorcycle accident in Tampa. The more time that goes by, the greater the chance evidence can disappear, or eyewitnesses’ memories start to fade. The sooner our team gets to work, the sooner we can collect evidence and build a strong case on your behalf.
Click to contact our Tampa Motorcycle Accident Lawyers today
You Deserve the Distasio Law Firm Difference
To ensure you have hired a lawyer in the Tampa area who is the best fit for your case, you may want to find an attorney who encompasses all of the following:
- Has Experience Handling Motorcycle Accident Cases – Scott Distasio has over three decades of experience handling cases involving car crashes, and he knows Florida motorcycle accident law. He has successfully negotiated millions of dollars in settlements for cases involving motor vehicle and motorcycle accident victims.
- Will Take Your Case to Trial if the Insurance Company Won’t Settle – Not all personal injury cases go to trial. The truth is that most cases settle. Scott Distasio is a board-certified civil trial lawyer. This gives him the right to call himself an expert trial lawyer. Scott will stand by your side in court and present your case to a judge and jury.
- Has Been Recognized for Their Abilities – Scott Distasio has earned the Martindale-Hubbell AV rating – the highest an attorney can earn for their skills and ethics. Scott Distasio has also become Board Certified by the Florida Bar in Trial law. Achieving this distinction requires an attorney to have tried a minimum number of jury cases and passed the competency exam. Fewer than 1 percent of Florida lawyers have this certification.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Distasio Law Firm Can Help You
At Distasio Law Firm, we have represented countless people who have been injured in motorcycle accidents, and we are committed to helping our clients obtain the damages they deserve. Monetary damages can include such things as bodily injuries, property damage, medical bills, lost income or earning potential, and pain and suffering.
If you need a lawyer for your motorcycle accident case in Tampa, contact us to learn more about how we can help. Call (813) 259-0022 for your free initial consultation today.