If you suffered negative side effects from Complera®, you may have an opportunity to file a personal injury lawsuit or join a mass tort action against Gilead Sciences to hold it accountable for gross negligence.
At Distasio Law Firm, we are organizing individuals in Florida who have suffered side effects, such as kidney failure, after using Complera to treat their HIV. If this applies to you, a personal injury lawyer from our team can help you prepare your Complera lawsuit against Gilead Sciences and demand you be compensated for your injuries.
You May Be Able to Receive Compensation for the Damages You Experienced
Gilead has challenged claims about its antiretroviral drugs causing patients long-term health issues. Despite these efforts, victims still have legal grounds to pursue compensation from the manufacturer due to strict product liability. This holds manufacturers like Gilead Sciences accountable for any endangerment they put consumers in by using their products.
At Distasio Law Firm, we want to help you get justice and demand compensation for the damages using Complera caused you. You may be entitled to several forms of compensable damages in Florida, such as:
As a lawyer from our team builds your Complera lawsuit, they may focus on the medical expenses you faced and may face in the future. We can review your medical records to see what kind of treatment you needed in response to the negative side effects that you experienced, then calculate their total costs.
You may be compensated for various costs related to medical care, such as those for:
- Diagnostic tests, including bloodwork and other lab work
- Imaging exams, such as ultrasounds, MRIs, and CT scans
- Doctor’s appointments and follow-up visits
- Emergency room care
- Ambulance rides
- Costs for Complera and other prescription medications
To determine future medical expenses, our team may consult a medical expert who can provide analysis in this area.
If your injuries were severe enough to take you out of work, we may be able to demand compensation for the income you lost. If your injuries are expected to be long-term or even permanent, we may also factor:
- How long you will be out of work
- Whether you will ever be able to return to your current job position
- Whether you need to take a lower-paying position or leave your field of work entirely to accommodate your injuries
- Whether you lost your ability to be promoted or given raises because of your injuries
This will help us account for salary changes you face and calculate your future loss of income.
Pain and Suffering
The physical and emotional turmoil you might be experiencing as a result of complications caused by Complera may also entitle you to compensation. Pain and suffering damages can apply to different types of losses besides physical and emotional pain, such as:
- Loss of enjoyment in former hobbies and activities
- Diminished quality of life
- Long-term or permanent disability
- Emotional distress or mental anguish
We can go over a full list of damages you may be entitled to claim in your free case review.
Gilead Sciences Needs to Be Held Accountable for Their Gross Negligence
Complera, along with other antiretroviral drugs manufactured by Gilead Sciences, has been linked with kidney damage and other side effects, as reported by the medical journal AIDS. According to the report, which was first printed in 2009, Complera and other drugs containing tenofovir disoproxil fumarate (TDF) can lead to side effects, such as kidney damage, liver damage, and bone mineral loss.
Since then, other safety issues with drugs containing TDF have been reported. According to Clinical Info, other side effects of Complera include:
- Lactic acidosis, which involves the blood getting an abnormal buildup of lactic acid
- Severe skin rashes and other allergic reactions
- Kidney failure
- Liver failure, especially in people who have Hepatitis B Virus Infection (HBV) or Hepatitis C Virus Infection (HCV)
- Flare-ups of HBV or HCV
- Bone-related problems, including osteoporosis
- Immune system problems
- Mental health changes, including suicidal thoughts
If you are experiencing any of the above symptoms, notify your physician right away to receive medical care.
Did Gilead Sciences Know About the Dangers of Complera and Other Drugs?
In 2017, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit revived the False Claims Act case made against Gilead Sciences and alleged that the manufacturer purposefully misrepresented the safety of their antiretroviral drugs when reporting to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
The complaint also alleges that Gilead Sciences neglected to report that Complera and other antiretroviral drugs like Atripla®, Truvada®, and Stribild® were manufactured in China and did not meet FDA standards for approval. Gilead also produces a separate antiretroviral drug manufactured in South Korea, but it costs more to produce.
The complaint alleges Gilead chose to continue selling Complera and other drugs to:
- Save costs on manufacturing costs
- Obtain patents for Complera and related drugs
- Sidestep FDA regulations by having drugs manufactured in China, where regulations are not as strict
In 2018, AIDS Health Foundation participated in Devin Martinez and Ricardo Wohler v. Gilead Sciences, Inc., which further made allegations that the manufacturer was aware of mislabeling on its drugs containing TDF, like Complera.
Our team wants to help you hold Gilead Sciences liable for its active negligence in distributing a pharmaceutical drug that endangers people like you.
You Get the “Distasio Personal Touch” When You Become a Client at Our Firm
Our legal team at Distasio Law Firm is dedicated to helping victims like you challenge Gilead Sciences and hold them accountable, but in order to do that, you need a strong case. Our personal injury lawyers want to help you prepare your Complera lawsuit so that it is comprehensive and backed by evidence.
We add a personal touch to our legal services, in that our work comes from an empathetic place. Building your lawsuit is more than meeting legal requirements – it’s about having your voice heard. As you work with us, our team can help by:
- Investigating the case to see if any evidence against Gilead Sciences is available to you, such as your medical records
- Consulting a medical professional who can provide testimony on how Complera may have caused your injuries and whether it should continue to be on the pharmaceutical drug market
- Preparing legal documents for the case and submitting them within the legal timeframe you have to register in the court system
- Handling communications made by Gilead Sciences or its legal team to settle your case and negotiating when necessary
- Presenting the case in court if an out-of-court settlement deal cannot be reached
Our team can also provide legal advice whenever you have concerns about the case or would like assistance in making a legal decision. Though we offer advice, every decision made throughout the case is ultimately yours and no one else’s – not even your lawyer’s.
Our Lawyers Work for a Contingency Fee
Our law firm works on a contingency-fee basis, meaning we withhold our attorney’s fees until the end of your case – provided we win. If we do not win you compensation, you are not obligated to pay us.
If our team does win the case, we take our fees out of your compensation. We will discuss these terms in your initial consultation before you sign on so that you understand how our services are paid.
Call Now to Get a Free Consultation With One of Our Team Representatives
If your injuries or illnesses can be traced back to Complera, our legal team at Distasio Law Firm wants to help you stand up against Gilead Sciences and fight for compensation. We can help you prepare your Complera lawsuit in Florida and have a personal injury lawyer from our team represent you throughout the case.
Call (813) 259-0022 today to receive a free consultation with one of our team members. We want to fight for the justice you deserve.