Gilead Sciences, Inc., is facing potential legal repercussions for its antiretroviral drug Truvada®, which has been found to cause negative side effects in long-term users. Both HIV-positive and HIV-negative users have reported side effects after using this drug. These side effects include kidney disease, bone mineral loss, and liver damage.
If you or someone you loved suffered adverse side effects after using Truvada, you may be entitled to file a personal injury lawsuit or join a mass tort against Gilead Sciences, Inc., and demand compensation for your damages. At Distasio Law Firm, we strive to help victims in Florida with their Truvada lawsuits so that they may get the justice they deserve.
For a free legal consultation with a truvada lawsuit lawyer serving Florida, call (813) 259-0022
Why Is Gilead Sciences Being Sued for Truvada?
Truvada is a pharmaceutical drug used to treat HIV-positive individuals. The drug was designed to help HIV-positive individuals block the virus from developing into AIDS, and it can also be used as a method to reduce HIV transmission.
However, Truvada was also marketed as a pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) drug to HIV-negative individuals, who could use the drug to avoid being infected with HIV. This marketing expanded the potential reach of Truvada users, who then reported negative side effects after long-term use because of the drug’s active ingredients.
The following touches on the main allegations that victims of Truvada, including you, may assert in their lawsuits against Gilead Sciences, Inc.
Florida Truvada Lawsuit Lawyer Near Me (813) 259-0022
Gilead Mislabeled the Safety Profile of Truvada and Its Active Ingredients
Truvada is composed of emtricitabine and tenofovir disoproxil fumarate (TDF). A 2009 study reported in the health journal AIDS found a link between TDF and kidney disease, as well as other serious side effects, such as liver failure and bone mineral loss.
According to Clinical Info, because of TDF, long-term Truvada use can lead to the following side effects:
- Liver problems, including liver failure
- Kidney problems, including kidney failure
- Lactic acidosis, which occurs when lactic acid builds up in the blood
- Negative changes to the immune system, such as immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome (IRIS)
- Bone problems, such as osteoporosis, pain in the bones, and bone softening
Complaints against Gilead Sciences, Inc., allege that the manufacturer knew of the dangers associated with TDF. In Devin Martinez and Ricardo Wohler v. Gilead Sciences, Inc., AIDS Health Foundation (AHF) helped Devin Martinez file a civil action lawsuit against Gilead. In their complaint, they alleged that the manufacturer actively omitted information about TDF’s safety from their labels in efforts to keep selling the drug.
Gilead Continued to Sell Truvada Despite Having a Safer Option Available
In 2017, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit reopened a False Claims Act lawsuit against Gilead. In their complaint, they alleged that the manufacturer purposefully misreported on antiretroviral drugs like Truvada to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to keep them on the market and save costs on production.
Other points made in their complaint include the following:
- Gilead Sciences, Inc., got FDA approval for another antiretroviral drug manufactured in South Korea that was proven to be safer than Truvada and related drugs.
- Despite having this option available for consumers, Gilead continued to sell and promote drugs like Truvada®, Atripla®, Complera®, and Stribild®.
Gilead’s gross negligence against its customer base should not go unnoticed. Our legal team wants to help victims like you fight against this manufacturer and hold it accountable for the injuries you suffered.
Click to contact our Florida Truvada lawsuit today
What Kind of Compensation Could Truvada Victims Receive?
If you suffered side effects, injuries, or illnesses because of Truvada, our team can look into how your physical health led to other consequences that negatively impacted your life. In personal injury law, injuries and their consequences on a person’s life are referred to as “damages.”
Damages can be categorized as “economic” or “non-economic,” depending on whether they initially had a financial effect.
Economic damages involve any consequence that led to a financial loss, expense, or debt. These types of damages may include:
- Medical care expenses, including costs for Truvada
- Income loss
- Costs for domestic care services
- Reduced earning capacity
Non-economic damages apply toward physical and emotional losses, which must be assigned a financial value because they are generally subjective. These types of damages may include:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Permanent disability or loss of bodily function, such as permanent liver failure
- Diminished quality of life
You may qualify for damages not listed in this section, which our legal team can discuss with you as we begin drafting your demand letter for compensation.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Is Distasio Law Firm Still Helping People Build Their Truvada Lawsuits?
Yes. Currently, there are still ongoing lawsuits being filed against Gilead Sciences, Inc., for its negligence in manufacturing various antiretroviral drugs, including Truvada. Our law firm is actively trying to reach people in Florida who have been affected by Truvada to help them pursue compensation for their injuries and damages.
If you are looking for a personal injury lawyer to represent you, allow our legal team at Distasio Law Firm to measure up to the task. We offer to:
- Review your case for free: As we continue to work on Truvada lawsuits for clients, we can look into your case to see if you qualify to demand compensation from Gilead and any other related parties involved in your case.
- Help you gather evidence for your case: As with any case, you will need to present evidence that supports your claims. We can help you retrieve key pieces of information, such as medical records, photos and videos of your injuries, labeling found on the products you used, and data that exemplifies the dangers of Truvada.
- Consult a medical expert who can provide testimony: Because your case involves a pharmaceutical drug and manufacturer, you will need a medical professional to speak on the medicine’s dangers and how it caused your side effects or injuries. We can help you find this witness and request their testimony.
- Prepare your case for litigation: While you cope with your injuries, our team can work on legal paperwork and communications necessary in building your case. We can also keep you updated as new information or messages come in.
- Represent you throughout your case: One of our personal injury lawyers can serve as your legal representative, meaning they can speak on your behalf should inquiring parties reach out for a statement. They can also appear in meetings to negotiate a settlement deal or present your case in court.
Are These Individual Cases or a Mass Tort?
Initially, your case would be a separate personal injury lawsuit against Gilead Sciences, Inc. However, if we notice other clients with similar injuries affected by the same drug, we may suggest working together in a mass tort against the manufacturer.
Our legal team can explain this process further during a future consultation should this legal route seem viable.
Call Distasio Law Firm to Represent You in Your Truvada Case in Florida
If you are experiencing side effects from using the PrEP drug Truvada, our legal team at Distasio Law Firm wants to learn more about your case. You may qualify to file a Truvada lawsuit against Gilead Sciences in Florida. If so, one of our personal injury lawyers can help prepare materials to have your case heard and fight for your injuries to be compensated.
Call our firm at (813) 259-0022 today to receive a free consultation.