Atripla® is a pharmaceutical drug manufactured by Gilead Sciences that has been flagged for causing long-term and potentially life-threatening side effects, such as osteoporosis, bone damage, and kidney failure. Our law firm aims to hold Gilead Sciences accountable for distributing this harmful HIV prescription medicine.
If you or someone you love is experiencing serious side effects or injuries due to Atripla, you could qualify to file a lawsuit or join a mass tort against Gilead Sciences. A personal injury lawyer at Distasio Law Firm can represent you in Florida after one of our team members listens to your story in a free consultation.
What Is the Basis for the Florida Atripla Lawsuit?
The Atripla lawsuit against Gilead Sciences largely focuses on the drug’s dangerous side effects and the manufacturer’s negligence in not taking it off the market once it produced a safer drug to treat HIV. Other lawsuits are also being organized against Gilead Sciences for Truvada, Complera, and Stribild.
Atripla is an antiretroviral drug used to treat HIV and is made out of efavirenz, emtricitabine, and tenofovir disoproxil fumarate (TDF). Its intended purpose is to prevent HIV-positive individuals from developing AIDS and reduce the risk of HIV transmission.
However, health journal AIDS linked Atripla to kidney disease due to TDF being an active ingredient in Atripla. According to the report, long-term use of Atripla can lead to kidney tubular abnormalities, bone mineral loss, and renal insufficiency. According to Clinical Info, other side effects include:
- Lactic acidosis (buildup of lactic acid in the blood that can lead to muscle pain, nausea and vomiting, and fast heart rate)
- Liver problems
- Problems within your nervous system
- Changes in your immune system
- Osteoporosis and other types of bone damage
- Mental health effects, including suicidal thoughts
If you experience or have been experiencing the above side effects, consult your physician immediately if you have not already done so. If you suspect your Atripla use is tied to other side effects you’re experiencing, and they are not listed here, inform your physician.
Our team may ask for a copy of your medical records to use as part of building your Atripla lawsuit in Florida.
In 2017, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit opened a case against Gilead Sciences. The case alleged that the manufacturer sidestepped regulations from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in order to keep selling Atripla and other dangerous HIV prescription medications.
This appeal asserted the following:
- Gilead purposely left out that it used a Chinese manufacturer to make Atripla and other related drugs when reporting to the FDA.
- The company did this to keep selling Atripla and reduce manufacturing costs rather than choose a safer but higher-priced version of the medicine produced in South Korea that the FDA approved.
- The company also tried to hide, obscure, or augment labels on Atripla and other drugs that warn consumers of dangerous active ingredients, namely TDF.
Gilead Sciences has attempted to challenge these claims but has failed, according to Fierce Pharma.
Our legal team at Distasio Law Firm aims to continue helping victims of Atripla get the justice they deserve. We can review your case and calculate how much compensation you may be entitled to collect based on the damages you’ve experienced.
For a free legal consultation with a atripla lawsuit lawyer serving Florida, call (813) 259-0022
You May Be Entitled to Receive Compensation for Side Effects Caused By Atripla
If you developed side effects, injuries, or illnesses because of long-term Atripla use, our team wants to hear your story and help you fight for compensation. You may be entitled to collect financial awards to cover the damages you experienced as a result of consuming the dangerous drug.
Our team will examine your economic and non-economic losses, then calculate their values based on the evidence you have to prove their costs or impact on your life. For example, some common damages you might claim in an Atripla lawsuit include:
- Medical care expenses, which includes expenses you faced in the past and expenses you might expect to have in the future depending on your injuries
- Income loss if your injuries prevented you from going to work and thus forced you to lose wages, benefits, or even pensions
- Reduced earning potential if your injuries affected your ability to work short-term, long-term, or permanently
- Pain and suffering caused by Atripla use and its related consequences
- Emotional distress, such as depression or anxiety, which were also listed as side effects of Atripla use
- Other out-of-pocket expenses related to your injuries, such as enlisting domestic care services if you are physically unable to take care of yourself as a result of your injuries
If your injuries became permanent and are not expected to heal, our team can also factor in whether this new disability may entitle you to receive additional compensation.
Florida Atripla Lawsuit Lawyer Near Me (813) 259-0022
Our Legal Team Is Searching for Clients in Florida Who Want Help with Their Cases
At Distasio Law Firm, we are extending our services to people in Florida who have experienced damaging side effects from long-term Atripla use. You do not have to stand up to a major corporation like Gilead Sciences on your own. Our personal injury team can stand by your side and help you build your lawsuit.
Your Atripla lawsuit will generally fall under product liability. This area of personal injury law holds manufacturers accountable for producing dangerous products. Cases against pharmaceutical companies like Gilead Sciences fall within this area.
If you decide to become our client, we can help you navigate this area of litigation and use our resources to develop your case. As such, we aim to provide you with several services, which include:
- Reviewing your medical records and other relevant information to see if your injuries may be related to Atripla use
- Filing appropriate motions against Gilead Sciences to inform them about your lawsuit
- Collecting evidence that can support your claims about your injuries being tied to Atripla use
- Consulting medical experts who can testify on your behalf
- Representing you in court and presenting your case in front of a judge and jury
- If possible, negotiating an out-of-court settlement that fairly reflects your damages
You are limited in the amount of time you have to file your case, according to Florida Statutes § 95.11(4)(b). This statute gives plaintiffs about two years from the date of injury or discovery of injury to file a lawsuit against medical-related parties. Therefore, it may be in your interest to start building your case as soon as possible.
Call Distasio Law Firm to Start Building Your Atripla Lawsuit in Florida Today
If you are interested in taking action against Gilead Sciences for your injuries caused by Atripla use, call (813) 259-0022 to speak with a member of our team about your case. We can have a personal injury lawyer from our firm begin working on your case right away.