As you drive on Florida’s highways and interstates, you will notice you are sharing the roads with a lot of huge semi-trucks and other trucks. Certainly, these vehicles are a vital part of the economy, carrying essential goods to the places where they are needed.
However, it probably does not make you feel safe as huge trucks drive within inches of your car. It takes a split-second mistake on the part of a truck driver to create a massive pileup on the roadways, leaving those involved with significant injuries that could lead to a reduction in their quality of life.
If you were in a car accident with commercial truck, consider retaining a Largo truck accident lawyer from Distasio Law Firm. The team of proactive injury attorneys, experts in Florida law, at Distasio Law Firm is ready to investigate your crash as soon as you choose to retain us. For a free consultation, contact us today.
WHY HIRE AN ATTORNEY AFTER YOUR TRUCK ACCIDENT TO FILE A CLAIM?
Truck accident victims may choose to hire a personal injury attorney in Largo because:
- They’re injured: Injuries can cause physical and psychological limitations. You may have difficulty completing day-to-day tasks while injured. Handling a legal case effectively may not be possible, depending on the nature of your injuries. Even if you can complete your case, your injuries may prevent you from presenting the strongest possible case.
- They lack legal experience: The typical truck accident victim is not a lawyer. They may lack legal experience and be unfamiliar with insurance claims and lawsuits. For these reasons, a truck accident victim may rely on someone with relevant experience—a personal injury lawyer from Distasio Law Firm.
- They don’t want to deal with the responsibility of a lawsuit: Even if you were completely healthy, a lawsuit is a significant challenge. Those who want to win a lawsuit must put forth substantial time, effort, and financial resources. If you’re unfamiliar with legal concepts and practices, you may need to put in even more time and effort than a lawyer. Many truck accident victims are unable or unwilling to take on the challenge of a lawsuit.
- They recognize the power of insurance companies and other attorneys: Getting an insurance settlement or winning a lawsuit isn’t just a matter of effort. You may need to put forth a more convincing case than an insurance company or another attorney. To win, you may need to negotiate more convincingly than the parties who oppose you. Considering the resources that insurance companies or other attorneys have on their side, this is a daunting prospect.
Our dedicated Largo semi-truck accident attorneys are ready to fight for you. We’ll manage your lawsuit so you can recover from your injuries. If you’ve lost a loved one in a truck accident in Largo, we’ll fight in your loved one’s memory.
WHY HIRE A LARGO TRUCK ACCIDENT ATTORNEY FROM DISTASIO LAW FIRM ?
A truck accident victim shouldn’t just aim to hire any attorney—rather, you want to hire the right attorney for your needs. The team of heavy commercial vehicle lawyers at Distasio Law Firm offer several benefits to our clients in Largo, including:
- The chance to work with a firm that has recovered several multi-million-dollar settlements and judgments for our clients
- Active communication, as we will keep you aware of updates in your case
- The willingness to hire experts, accident reconstructionist, and others who can help your case
- A contingency fee structure, which means you pay nothing out of pocket to hire our team
As our client, you will receive compassionate, consistent legal representation. We listen to clients like you so that we can understand your circumstances fully. Rather than firms that talk at their clients, we pride ourselves on two-way communication. Rest assured that you’ll feel heard throughout the entirety of your case.
Even with our dedication to client service, there is no misunderstanding about your goal. You need a financial recovery, and securing that recovery will be our primary objective.
THE FREQUENCY OF 18-WHEELER COLLISIONS
According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), fatalities in large truck crashes are increasing across the United States. In 2009, 3,147 deaths occurred in crashes involving large trucks. The number of truck accident fatalities increased to 4,136 by 2018.
In these fatal crashes in 2018, truck occupants suffered 678 fatalities, or about 16% of all the fatalities. Meanwhile, occupants of motor vehicles involved in truck accidents suffered 2,786 fatalities. Pedestrians, motorcyclists, and bicyclists suffered 619 fatalities after a large truck hit them in 2018.
These numbers show the dangers that occur when the truck driver makes an error while driving. Because a truck is so much larger than a typical passenger car, and because motorcyclists, bicyclists, and pedestrians have no protection from the truck, these groups are in significant danger when a truck hits them. Tens of thousands of victims suffer significant, non-fatal injuries in truck crashes each year, too.
TRACTOR-TRAILER CRASH STATISTICS IN FLORIDA
Truck accidents involving commercial motor vehicles (CMVs) frequently occur in Pinellas County, Florida.
According to the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV), the county had 1,445 crashes involving CMVs in 2018, which is nearly a 10 percent increase over the 1,315 CMV accidents that occurred in 2016.
Considering the frequency of trucking accidents in the area, retaining an attorney after being involved in this type of crash may be a good strategy to protect your rights. Our firm has experience representing truck accident victims, making us familiar with cases like yours.
Count on the skilled truck crash lawyers Distasio Law Firm to obtain the facts in your Largo truck accident case and determine a fair settlement amount. Call us today for a free review of your claim.
DETERMINING LIABILITY IN A HEAVY COMMERCIAL VEHICLE ACCIDENT
One way a capable truck accident lawyer in Largo can help with your case is by determining exactly who is at fault. In some cases, your truck accident attorney may discover that more than one party should be a defendant in your claim. Liable parties may include:
A TRUCK DRIVER
Most of the time, the truck driver will be at fault in a crash with injuries, according to findings from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). If the trucker makes an error behind the wheel, and if that error contributes to the crash, they may be found negligent, and the driver’s insurance company may be liable for any judgment in the case.
Some of the ways a truck driver can be negligent include:
- Driving recklessly
- Driving while intoxicated
- Driving while distracted
- Fatigued driving
- Changing lanes without signaling
- Violating traffic signs or signals
- Failing to yield right of way
A TRUCKING COMPANY
A trucking company may be liable for its truck driver’s negligence or its own negligence.
For example, if the trucking company did not ensure that its driver had the proper training and commercial driver’s license to operate a commercial truck in Florida, the company could be found liable. Even if a trucking company is not clearly negligent, it could be liable for your losses.
A MAINTENANCE DEPARTMENT
If the repair shop or maintenance department that worked on the truck failed to catch a mechanical problem, this could lead to an equipment failure resulting in an accident.
A situation where this may occur is with the braking system on the truck. Without proper maintenance on the brakes, they could fail as the truck is hauling a heavy load, resulting in a severe crash.
When workers are loading the truck’s trailer, they must do so correctly. With an improper loading technique, the cargo could shift as the trucker turns a corner or attempts to stop suddenly, causing the driver to lose control.
CONTACT A TRUCK ACCIDENT ATTORNEY IN LARGO FOR HELP WITH YOUR TRUCK ACCIDENT CLAIM
It can be overwhelming when you are trying to recover from injuries suffered in a trucking accident that was not your fault. Not only are you likely struggling with significant pain and limited mobility, forcing you to change the way you live your life and leaving you unable to travel to visit loved ones, but you also may be unable to work.
Count on Distasio Law Firm to remain on your side throughout the legal process. When you retain us, we will take over the negotiations with liable parties and insurance companies, leaving you more time to heal. We are always ready to go to trial if necessary.
As a Largo truck accident lawyer, we have seen far too often how insurance companies treat injury victims in truck crashes and families of wrongful death. Insurers may try to convince you to accept a far lower settlement than you deserve. We will work to ensure all parties treat you fairly. Call us today for a free case review.