If you or someone you love sustained injuries in a Bradenton motorcycle collision, you may be overwhelmed by medical expenses and other losses. You may be angry and unsure of what steps to take first. Working with a Bradenton, FL motorcycle accident lawyer from Distasio Law Firm may help you focus on healing while we seek compensation for your damages.
If your injuries occurred because of the negligent behavior of another motorist, you have the right to hold them responsible for their actions and that is exactly what our motorcycle accident attorney does. The team of seasoned injury attorneys at Distasio Personal Injury Law Firm is here to guide you through the complex claims process from start to finish. We will pursue compensation for your injuries once hired. To find out the legal options for your case, contact us today.
Types of Bradenton Florida Motorcycle Accidents We Handle
There are many causes of motorcycle collisions. Often, motorists simply fail to see a motorcycle because they were expecting a larger vehicle. Other times, the accident would have occurred regardless of the type of vehicle because another driver made a mistake behind the wheel. Some common causes of Bradenton crashes we often see include:
- Distracted drivers: Cell phones, radios, and passengers can take a driver’s attention from the road, causing them to overlook the presence of a motorcyclist. Distractions increase the likelihood of an accident, particularly if the driver fails to check their blind spots before changing a lane.
- Car doors: Motorcycle accidents can occur because a driver fails to look in both directions before opening the door of their parked car into a busy street.
- Speeding: Driving at excessive speeds impacts a driver’s ability to react if the flow of traffic suddenly slows or stops. The higher the speed, the greater the force upon impact. High speed increases the likelihood of serious or even fatal injuries in any type of accident, but it is an especially high risk for motorcyclists.
- Tailgating: Drivers who follow too closely behind motorcyclists often cause accidents, as they do not have time to react if traffic suddenly stops.
- Driving under the influence (DUI): Drivers who operate cars and trucks while under the influence of drugs or alcohol often have an inflated sense of their capabilities. A driver who is under the influence may be unable to react in time to the flow of traffic.
The list above mentions a few potential causes of accidents on which a Bradenton motorcycle accident attorney on our team may be able to advise. We also help motorcyclists understand their rights after an accident where a driver made a mistake behind the wheel, violating a traffic law. This collision often occurs when a driver fails to yield when turning left, runs a red light or stop sign, fails to stay in their lane, or makes other careless errors.
Regardless of how you were injured, you may be entitled to recover compensation if another driver or another part was at fault. Contact Distasio Law Firm for a free review of your case because you want the best motorcycle wreck lawyer in Bradenton handling your case.
Common Motorcyclist Injuries
Numerous injuries can happen as a result of a motorcycle crash. A motorcyclist can incur many injuries because a motorcycle has no frame, seat belts, or airbag to protect them from the full force of impact or from being thrown during the accident.
Some common injuries and accident claims our team sees include:
Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBIs) and Other Head Injuries
TBIs are commonly the result of a violent blow to the head. A common TBI occurs during a motorcycle accident when the driver is struck or thrown from their bike. TBIs have wide-ranging physical and psychological effects. Some of the signs of moderate to severe TBIs are:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Loss of coordination
- Profound confusion
- Aggressive or combative behavior
- Loss of consciousness from a few minutes to hours
The damage from a traumatic brain injury can be long-lasting or permanent, potentially forcing the victim to relearn specific behaviors. Those who suffer from a traumatic brain injury live with lasting impairments or injuries for the rest of their life, and ongoing or future treatment, care, support, and therapy may be necessary.
Neck, Back, and Spinal Cord Injuries
Neck, back, and spinal cord injury can cause long-term or even permanent injuries. Damage to the spinal cord can cause paralysis affecting nerve and muscle control to the bowel, bladder, and legs. Many victims of motorcycle accidents spend long periods hospitalized and/or in rehabilitation. Most victims struggle with sadness or depression as they learn to cope with a life that involves new challenges.
Serious neck, back, or spinal cord injuries can also involve lasting impairment. Disabilities are possible, whether because of chronic pain or loss of movement and control from the injury site down. Spinal cord injuries, especially, may require ongoing care and support for the rest of the person’s life.
According to Mayo Clinic, a quarter of all injury-related deaths are the result of blunt thoracic injuries. The thoracic cavity is made up of three major systems: the lungs, airway, and cardiovascular system. Any penetrating or blunt trauma that impacts the lungs, airway, and cardiovascular system can cause life-threatening injuries.
Fractures are common in motorcycle accidents because the motorcyclist does not have protection to absorb impact. Riders often break arms, legs, hands, or facial muscles during motorcycle accidents.
One of the most common injuries motorcyclists suffer is road rash. These injuries are effectively burns to the skin that occur because of skidding on pavement or other surfaces after being ejected from the bike. They are most common on large areas of skin that are not covered in protective fabrics, such as the legs, back, or stomach, but can occur anywhere on the body.
These are just a few possible types of injuries that can occur after a motorcycle accident. There are many other injuries that can happen due to a motorcycle accident such as internal bleeding, cuts and lacerations, and contusions.
Types of Recoverable Damages After Motorcycle Collisions
If you were involved in a motorcycle crash, there are several damages that you may be able to recover, such as:
- Medical bills and expenses
- Future or ongoing care and support costs
- Lost wages
- Future wages (if you lost earning potential due to your injuries)
- Property damage costs to your motorcycle and equipment
- Disfigurement or dismemberment
- Mental anguish
- Pain and suffering
According to Florida Statues § 95.11(3)(a), the state generally gives you two years to file a personal injury lawsuit for damages. If you delay, you could forfeit your right to compensation, .
Wrongful Death Damages
There are many different types of bodily injury locations in fatally injured motorcycle riders. Many injuries suffered in motorcycle accidents can become fatal, whether immediately or because of complications and worsening symptoms later. If your loved one did not survive the motorcycle accident, additional damages that you may recover after a wrongful death claim include:
- Funeral and burial costs
- Income losses and benefits
- Loss of services performed by your family member
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of support and protection
- Loss of companionship
The list above mentions a few types of damages that are recoverable after a motorcycle accident. We cannot estimate the damages that you may be entitled to recoup after your accident until we investigate what happened and what losses you suffered. During this process, we will establish a fair settlement range for your case. To hire the best motorcycle accident lawyer, give us a call so we can review your potential losses to begin this process.
Under Florida Statutes § 95.11(4)(d), the statute of limitations to file a wrongful death lawsuit in Florida is usually two years. The statute of limitations may pause in certain circumstances. A skilled motorcycle crash attorney from our team in Bradenton can help you understand the legal options that fit your case.
How a Bradenton Motorcycle Accident Lawyer at Our Team Can Help
We can help you navigate the complexities of filing your motorcycle accident case claim by guiding you through the process from start to finish. Some specific ways we can help you include:
- Answering your questions and offering you 24/7 support
- Gathering evidence like eyewitness statements, police reports, and surveillance video to determine what happened and establish liability
- Obtaining medical records, bills, and receipts to calculate the extent of your damages
- Calculating the value of your injury claim based on your damages
- Negotiating with the insurance company on your behalf
- Protecting your rights in court
While you focus on recovering, our dedicated Bradenton motorbike collision attorneys will handle the legal aspects of your case and ensure you are as comfortable as possible.
We Don’t Recover a Payment Unless You Do
We are a contingency fee law firm, so we do not ask our clients to pay anything when they sign a contract with us. There are no upfront fees, always free consultations, and our personal injury attorneys do not charge anything until your case is over.
Our attorney’s fees are contingent on our recovering compensation for you in your case. If we do not win money damages for you, our lawyers will not get their fees for managing your case.
Get in Touch with a Bradenton Motorcycle Accident Attorney
To get started right away, call us today. A Bradenton motorcycle accident lawyer on our team can review your case for free. We are here for you during this stressful and difficult time. Be sure to ask us any questions you might have so we can address all your concerns from the start. Call now.