Regardless of how defensively you drive as a motorcyclist on the road, accidents can happen. More often than not, these accidents occur due to the negligent behavior of another motorist.
If you are hurt and in pain because of a motorcycle wreck that was caused by someone else’s negligent behavior, you have the right to hold that person accountable for their actions. This process can be difficult, but you do not need to handle it alone.
The team of skilled personal injury attorneys at Distasio Law Firm are here to help you navigate the legal process from start to finish. We can help you file your claim and pursue compensation for your injuries. Contact a Largo motorcycle accident lawyer today for a free, no-obligation review of your case.
Types of Motorcycle Accident Injuries We Handle
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), some of the most common injuries after motorcycle accidents are:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) and other head injuries: These injuries are common because of the lack of protection that surrounds a motorcyclist. TBIs are common in motorcycle accidents because of the likelihood of an impact with the ground. These injuries result from a violent blow to the head and can cause a variety of symptoms, from headaches to a loss of consciousness.
- Spinal cord injuries: According to Mayo Clinic, auto and motorcycle accidents are the top cause of spinal cord injuries. These injuries can cause partial or complete loss of movement, impact the victim’s ability to experience heat and/or cold, and lead to a loss of bladder or bowel control.
- Thoracic injuries: The thoracic cavity is made up of three major systems: the lungs, cardiovascular system, and airway.
- Broken collarbone: This type of injury is common after trauma from a motorcycle accident. A bulge near your shoulder or hearing a noise when you try to move your shoulder are indications of a broken collarbone. While many of these injuries heal without difficulty, this type of injury can damage nearby nerves and blood vessels.
These are just a few of the accident injuries we handle. Some other possible injuries include fractures of other bones, internal bleeding, and burns.
Regardless of how you or a loved one sustained the injuries in a motorcycle crash, you may be entitled to compensation. We want to help you recover that compensation. Contact Distasio Law Firm today for a free review of your claim with one of our knowledgeable motorcycle accident attorneys in Largo.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Collisions
While there are a wide variety of behaviors that can cause motorcycle accidents, common causes include:
Drivers are frequently distracted by cell phones, passengers, and other scenarios. It takes only a moment of distraction for a motorcyclist to slip unnoticed into the blind spot of another driver. Once this occurs, it creates the potential for an accident if the driver suddenly changes lanes.
When a driver speeds, it reduces the amount of time they have to react to the flow of traffic or a sudden stop. The likelihood of severe or even catastrophic injuries also increases with high speeds.
Motorists do not always remember to look before they open their doors after parking their vehicles. This habit can create risks for an accident as a motorcyclist may be passing by as the door opens.
Following too closely behind a motorcyclist—particularly while driving at high speeds—can be extremely dangerous. The driver may not have time to react to avoid an accident.
Our experienced legal team in Largo handles all causes of motorcycle wrecks. Call now to learn how one of our skilled legal professionals can help with your motorcycle accident case today.
Damages You May Recover After A Motorcycle Crash
While we cannot estimate what damages you may recover without first evaluating the details of your case, you may recover expenses for:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Future wages if you lost your earning potential
- Dismemberment or disfigurement
- Pain and suffering
If your family member died because of the seriousness of their injuries stemming from a motorcycle wreck, you may be entitled to:
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Loss of companionship
- Loss of support and protection
How Florida’s Statute of Limitations May Impact Your Personal Injury Claim
According to Florida Statute § 95.11, you have a limited amount of time to pursue compensation in a personal injury lawsuit after an accident. You will generally be barred from recovering compensation if more than four years have passed since your accident. In the case of a wrongful death lawsuit, you typically have two years from the date of your loved one’s death to file your claim.
How A Largo Motorcycle Accident Attorney Can Help
If you sustained an injury in a motorbike crash, a Largo motorcycle accident lawyer can guide you through the entire process. Some specific ways we can help are to:
- Gather evidence related to your case, including police reports, witness statements, and video surveillance.
- Collect documentation, such as medical records, receipts, and other documents that detail the full extent of your financial losses.
- Consult with our network of experts who can provide statements about the extent of your injuries and future prognosis and help us establish liability in your case.
- Calculate the value of your case, including the cost of your pain and suffering.
- Negotiate with insurance companies to pursue a fair and just settlement.
- Protect your rights in court to an agreeable settlement.
Our team is ready to help you. To get started right away or to take advantage of our free, no-risk consultation, call now.