A loved one’s unexpected passing can be one of the most challenging ordeals a family will ever have to experience. Hiring a Riverview wrongful death lawyer from our firm can take some of the burdens off your shoulders. Distasio Law Firm can be your advocate and work to help you get the compensation you deserve.
We understand that nothing can ever compensate you for your loss. However, we could help you recover the compensation you need to pay your bills and deal with the mounting financial responsibilities at this difficult time. You should not have to face additional financial burdens if someone else’s negligence caused your loved one’s passing.
Recoverable Compensation in a Wrongful Death Case
The unexpected death of a loved one can result in severe financial implications for a family, particularly if the decedent was your household’s primary breadwinner. A wrongful death case could help you recover compensation for the expenses and losses your family experiences. Recoverable damages can include:
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Medical expenses before death
- The decedent’s lost income and benefits
- Lost companionship
- Mental distress
- Loss of inheritance
You and your family could also be entitled to other compensation, depending on your situation. We can help you identify and estimate these damages when our firm represents you.
For a free legal consultation with a wrongful death lawyer serving Riverview, call (813) 259-0022
Filing a Wrongful Death Case in Florida
If another individual’s negligence caused the passing of your loved one, it’s important to understand who can initiate a wrongful death case in Florida. You could qualify to file if you are:
- The spouse of the deceased
- A child of the deceased
- A parent of the deceased
In some instances, other relatives of the decedent, such as siblings and dependents who relied on them for financial support, can potentially recover damages. Our team will explain who in your family can recover compensation upon reviewing your case.
Riverview Wrongful Death Lawyer Near Me (813) 259-0022
Timely Action Is Important for Recovering Your Losses
Filing your lawsuit on time can make the difference between recovering compensation or having no legal options whatsoever. According to Florida Statutes § 95.11(4)(d), you generally have two years to file a wrongful death lawsuit.
The deadline for your case starts ticking on the day your loved one passed. There can be some exceptions to the rule, however, so seek out a Riverview wrongful death lawyer from Distasio Law Firm to find out if there are ways that you could still obtain justice.
We Work on a Variety of Wrongful Death Cases
Many instances and incidents can lead to wrongful death in Riverview. Our personal injury lawyers have worked on a wide array of cases for our clients. When there is evidence that an individual passed away due to the negligent or deliberate actions of another, we work to help the family in any way we can.
Motor Vehicle Accidents
Car accidents are one cause of wrongful death. To have a case, a negligent driver or another at-fault party must have caused the death of the individual in question. Drivers can display negligence in many different ways, including by:
- Drunk driving
- Failing to obey traffic laws
- Driving while distracted
- Improperly passing or turning
- Driving while drowsy
- Driving a defective vehicle
- Driving aggressively or recklessly
A Riverview wrongful death lawyer on our team may be able to help prove your case against a negligent driver.
Johns Hopkins Medicine suggests in a recent study that medical malpractice is now a leading cause of death in the country. Finding out that a loved one who was supposed to receive treatment to get better passed away due to a medical error can be heartbreaking. Examples of medical malpractice can include:
- Surgical errors
- Failure to diagnose
- Delayed diagnosis
- Medication errors
- Birth injuries
- Anesthesia errors
- Inadequate aftercare
- Premature discharge
- Failure to order tests or interpret results
Medical malpractice claims can be tough, lengthy, and complicated to litigate. However, our team knows what steps to take, which includes consulting expert witnesses in the field.
We also handle a variety of premises liability cases that result in wrongful death, including but not limited to:
- Slip and fall accidents
- Dog bites and animal attacks
- Assault due to lack of security
- Workplace accidents
- Boating accidents
A property owner must ensure safety on their premises by taking steps like installing adequate security and personal safety measures. Not doing so could render them liable for your loved one’s passing.
Filing a claim or lawsuit may not be the first thing on your mind when you are dealing with grief and the formalities that come with a death in the family. Let us handle all the legal aspects of a wrongful death case, leaving you free to spend time with your loved ones.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Why Distasio Law Firm Is Qualified for Your Wrongful Death Case
Whenever you pursue a legal case, choosing a lawyer is a critical decision. When a case is as high-stakes as a wrongful death claim, the importance of choosing the right lawyer only heightens. Distasio Law Firm will lead your case with the empathy that a wrongful death claim requires.
When you hire our team, you should expect:
- Respect for the pain that you and your family is experiencing
- Dedication to securing justice for your loved one
- End-to-end legal representation
- Complete protection of your rights
- Active communication
- Honest, straightforward answers to all of your questions
Our firm treats clients like family. In addition to our high standard of client care, our team works relentlessly to get results for those we represent. A civil case is a way to get justice for your immense loss, and we take our responsibility extremely seriously.
Results for Past Clients
Distasio Law Firm has secured many recoveries for our clients, including:
- A $12 million verdict for the widow and child of a man shot and killed outside of a bar. A jury determined that the bar lacked adequate security, and was therefore responsible for what may have been a preventable death.
- A $3 million settlement for a client whose loved one died in a workplace accident.
- A $1.7 million settlement for the family of a loved one who died in a nursing home. We found out that the deceased had passed away because they were left unattended and choked to death.
In each of these cases, we understood that the settlement or verdict would not bring the client’s loved one back. However, we also know that each client had significant pain and financial hardship. We fought for—and won—the recovery that they deserved.
The financial consequences of a wrongful death case can be great. In addition to losing a beloved spouse, parent, or family member, victims may also lose the person who supports them financially. We consider all of these losses when seeking a settlement or judgment.
Client Testimonials Show the Distasio Law Firm Difference
Distasio Law Firm makes excellent client care the standard. When our clients have special requests or need us to help with case-related problems, we don’t hesitate. Just consider what our former clients say about our attorneys, paralegals, and staff:
- “Thanks for all your help and guidance through this difficult period. You and your staff have been very professional, knowledgeable, and thoughtful.” – The Estate of Barbara Belloise-King, former clients
- “I want to thank you on behalf of my family for the service your law firm provided us. This was a terrible tragedy that will never bring our father back. But I pray to God maybe it will prevent some other victim of having to go through what he went through. Thank you for your professional work especially during a year of pandemic and heartache for so many people.” – Cheryl Madley, former client
Expect empathy, compassion, and respect from every member of our staff. Just as importantly, expect our team to fight tirelessly for the financial recovery your family deserves.
Call Distasio Law Firm Today
While we know that we cannot make up for the loss of your loved one, we may be able to help you seek damages from the responsible party. We have over 27 years’ worth of experience helping families in Florida get the justice and compensation they deserve. Explore your options for financial recovery and call us now to begin a free consultation.