Any car accident can be dangerous, but one involving a truck can carry a higher risk for injury and property damage. If you or a loved one have suffered an injury due to an accident involving a speeding truck, Distasio Law Firm may be able to help. Call our office at (813) 259-0022 for a free consultation, explore your legal options, and learn more about what a speeding truck accident lawyer can do for you.
What to Know About Truck Accidents
Large trucks are a crucial player in our economy and are needed to transport tons of cargo across long stretches of highway. Due to the weight of these trucks, which can be as much as 20 to 30 times that of a typical passenger vehicle, a truck can cause incredible amounts of damage in the event of a collision. There are many rules governing trucks, their driver’s behavior, and the responsibilities of carriers, shippers, and other parties.
For a free legal consultation with a speeding truck accidents lawyer serving Tampa, call (813) 259-0022
Federal Trucking Rules
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) has regulations in place to keep the road safer for trucks and the smaller vehicles that drive alongside them. There are rules about when drivers can be on the road, how long they can drive continuously, how much the trucks weigh, and rules for how often and thoroughly large trucks need to be inspected. If these rules are not followed, and an accident occurs, the driver, carrier, and others could all be held liable for the damages suffered by someone else.
If someone else caused you or a loved one to suffer damages in an accident, a speeding truck accident lawyer may be able to help you pursue damages.
Tampa Speeding Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me (813) 259-0022
Types of Damages to Pursue
In any accident, there is the possibility of incurring physical, emotional, and financial losses, and you may be eligible to collect compensation for those losses. Those losses include such things as:
- Medical costs: if you have suffered an injury in an accident involving a speeding truck, you could be looking at some extensive medical bills. The costs of doctor visits, hospital stays, medications, and physical therapy could all potentially be covered by your compensation.
- Lost wages: being out of work due to an accident can cause you to miss out on multiple paychecks. You can claim wages that you have lost due to your accident.
- Lost earning potential: if an accident with a speeding truck leaves you with injuries that continue to affect your life, that could also affect your ability to work. If you suffer an injury that prevents you from working as much or at all, that lost earning potential could be covered by your compensation.
- Loss of enjoyment: these damages can cover an injury that prevents you from taking part in a hobby or activity you once enjoyed. You may not think it is important to the grand scheme of things but being unable to go back to doing something you loved after an accident can adversely affect your quality of life. You deserve compensation for that loss.
- Pain and suffering: these awards would cover any other pain and suffering you have experienced due to your accident with a speeding truck.
- Property damage: if the accident damaged your car, and insurance did not cover the complete cost of repairs or replacement, you can pursue compensation for property damage as well.
- Wrongful death: if your loved one died in a speeding truck accident, please accept our condolences, and know that you could also be entitled to damages. These damages could cover many of the items listed above as well as make up for their normal economic contribution to your household.
How a Truck Accident Lawyer Can Help You
There are services that a lawyer may provide that can help you through your recovery. They can help you with:
Your truck accident lawyer can help you promptly file your lawsuit. This action is important because you do not have unlimited time to pursue damages after an accident. Due to Florida Statutes §95.11, you have four years to file for damages after you have suffered an injury. In a wrongful death case, you only have two years to file.
This seems like a lot of time, but as you recover from your injuries and try to return to normalcy, that time can fly by. Let Distasio Law Firm take care of this for you. Call (813) 259-0022 for free case review today.
A lawyer gathers the evidence needed to show that you were the one who was wronged and that you are entitled to damages. Evidence can include police reports, eyewitness testimony, truck maintenance data, and more.
If a truck was speeding at the time of an accident, the driver may be liable for the accident. They are not the only potentially liable party, though. As we mentioned previously, trucking is heavily regulated by the government. The carrier or shipper could also be liable for the accident that occurred if they were not following the rules.
In some cases, truckers may have made complaints about this particular carrier in the past via the FMCSA. If this is the situation, it can show a repeated pattern of negligence on the part of the carrier themselves, making them potentially liable for the accident that occurred.
A lawyer will speak to all involved parties for you and update you on your case when there is something to report. You do not have to work alone with insurance companies, other drivers, or anyone else.
A speeding truck accident lawyer will make your case and show why you or a loved one are owed compensation due to the injuries sustained in an accident. If a lawyer cannot obtain a fair settlement offer, they will make your case for you in court.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Contact Us for a Free Consultation
If you or a loved one have suffered an injury in an accident, Distasio Law Firm can help. Call us at (813) 259-0022 for a free consultation and learn more about how a speeding truck accident lawyer could assist you.