If you or someone you love was in a crash with a tractor-trailer, semi-truck, 18-wheeler, or commercial truck, you will want to work with a Tampa truck accident lawyer who has the knowledge necessary to handle this type of injury case. There is more to these complex claims than proving the driver’s negligence most of the time.
At Distasio Law Firm, we provide complimentary case reviews and consultations for accident victims and their families. We can help you better understand how these cases work and how our team can manage your case while you focus on healing from your injuries. You can learn more during a free consultation today.
Distasio Law Firm
1112 Channelside Drive Suite 5,
Tampa, FL 33602
We are available 24/7 By Phone: (813) 259-0022.
What Damages Can You Claim in a Truck Accident Lawsuit?
After a Tampa truck crash, your commercial vehicle accident lawyer can file a claim to recover damages for your related expenses. This includes:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Property damage
- Other accident-related expenses
In addition to the financial losses, there are devastating emotional losses you can also claim, including:
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Emotional Distress
- Physical and mental pain and suffering
You could also be compensated for future medical treatment costs and future wages you will lose if your injuries mean you won’t be able to work. Our Tampa truck accident team will evaluate the actual cost of these injuries when building a case to hold the liable parties accountable.
Our truck accident legal team also represents families whose loved ones died from catastrophic collision injuries. Wrongful death cases can be complex, but we navigate the process to recover compensation for financial losses, economic costs, and intangible harm that surviving family members suffered.
You need to know about several deadlines that occur after a truck accident case. Under Florida Statutes § 627.736, you only have 14 days to seek treatment for your injuries after a crash. Most people with serious injuries see a doctor immediately, but others put it off if they do not think they require emergency medical care.
Seeking treatment is a critical part of proving your claim and collecting damages. Our attorneys will ensure you have the medical documentation you need to settle your case. However, this is only possible if you see a doctor quickly following your crash.
We will help to ensure the insurance company will pay for all of your medical bills and other expenses related to your injuries. If you wait too long, you may miss out.
If you or a loved one were injured in a truck accident, contact us online or call (813) 259-0022 to schedule an appointment for a free initial consultation.
For a free legal consultation with a truck accidents lawyer serving Tampa, call (813) 259-0022
Learn More About Your Legal Rights After a Truck Crash
If you or a loved one was hurt in a truck accident, you should speak with a Tampa truck accident attorney right away. A personal injury lawyer can explain what you may be entitled to under Florida law. For example, you might be eligible for compensation for lost wages, medical bills, property damage, and other expenses.
In addition, there are deadlines for suing the liable parties in a Hillsborough County civil court or another jurisdiction in Florida. They include:
- 14 days to report the crash
- 30 days to file a lawsuit
- 60 days to serve the complaint on the defendant(s)
The statute of limitations for filing a wrongful death action is two years from the date of death.
- Personal injury: 4 years, per Florida Statutes § 95.11(3)(a)
- Wrongful death: 2 years, per Florida Statutes § 95.11(4)(d)
For a free legal consultation with a truck accidents lawyer serving Tampa, call (813) 259-0022.
Tampa Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me (813) 259-0022
Working with Distasio Law Firm on Your Tampa Truck Accident Claim
At Distasio Law Firm, our team takes pride in our commitment to putting clients first. If you choose to work with our team, you can expect to experience The Distasio Personal Touch every step of the way. We have strict internal rules for client communication, and our client testimonials show how much our previous customers appreciate that. This includes being available to answer your questions and discuss your case. We will help determine if the truck driver was at fault; we will work with the insurance company and your doctors and review your medical records and medical expenses.
Our semi-truck accident attorney offers services on a contingency basis. This means it will not cost you anything upfront. Instead, we will agree on a percentage of any settlement or award that our team collects. Then, we receive this sum after your case. If you don’t win, we don’t get paid.
We recommend truck collision victims reach out to us as soon as possible following an accident. You may not be able to call due to your injuries, but we can also speak with a loved one who makes a call on your behalf.
The sooner you call us, the sooner we can go to work. We need to begin preserving the data and evidence necessary to prove your case and get you a settlement as quickly as possible. The trucking company has a lot of evidence, and it may not benefit them to ensure it is safe.
When you speak with our team during your free consultation, we will explain:
- Your rights
- Your legal options
- How our team can help
- The likely liable parties
- The claims process
- What happens if we cannot reach a settlement
- Our contingency fee policy
We will also answer any related questions and listen to your concerns about your case.
Questions Truck Accident Victims Should Ask When Seeking Representation
If you speak with a law firm, you’ll want to ask the following questions:
- Have you handled truck accident cases before?
- Who is responsible for my damages?
- What damages can I recover?
- Have you successfully negotiated with corporations?
- How will you get my financial settlement?
- Will you take my case to trial?
You may find that any other attorney or law firm you talk with cannot give you the same satisfactory answers and confidence in their abilities that our team can. Most truck accident claims will never end up in court because the trucking company will negotiate a settlement. However, if they don’t, you need an attorney with trial experience. At Distasio Law Firm, we won’t hesitate to bring them to trial.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Common Causes of Truck Accidents in Tampa
- Distracted Driving – A distracted driving crash occurs when someone is using a phone, texting, eating, drinking, or doing something else while behind the wheel. It is illegal to use a cell phone while operating a vehicle. Even talking on a hands-free device is dangerous. Your eyes should be focused on the road ahead and not on your phone.
- Driver Fatigue – Driver fatigue is a common cause of accidents. Many people do not realize that they are tired until after they have been involved in an accident. Some drivers fall asleep at the wheel, others simply become sleepy. Either way, it is important to make sure you stay awake so you can avoid crashes.
- Speeding – Speeding is another major cause of truck accidents. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), speeding accounts for nearly 30 percent of all fatal motor vehicle collisions. Speeding causes more than 1,000 deaths each year.
- Driver Negligence – If you were injured in a truck accident caused by the negligence of another driver, you could be entitled to compensation. This includes negligent acts such as failing to yield right of way, running red lights, crossing into opposing traffic lanes, and tailgating.
- Improper Loading – Improper loading is one of the most common causes of truck accidents. While there are many different types of loads being transported today, improper load handling is still a leading cause of truck accidents.
- Defective Parts – Defective parts are also a leading cause of truck accident injuries. For example, defective brakes can fail to cause a crash. Other examples include faulty steering components, tires, and cargo.
- Drowsy Driving – Drowsy driving is another common cause of truck accidents. Drivers often drive while feeling drowsy. They may feel groggy, fatigued, or even drunk. When this happens, it is very difficult to concentrate and react quickly enough to prevent a crash.
- Faulty Equipment – Faulty equipment is another common cause of accidents. For example, poorly maintained trucks or trailers can lead to problems like loose brakes, worn-out tires, and broken axles. These issues can cause serious injury if they occur during a collision.
- Failure To Follow Traffic Laws – Failure to follow traffic laws can result in severe injury by a negligent driver. For example, failure to signal properly can lead to rear-end accidents. Likewise, failure to stop at a stop sign or crosswalk can cause pedestrians to get hit by vehicles.
Why Choose Distasio Law Firm?
Distasio Law Firm has helped many of our clients navigate the complexities of filing a truck accident insurance claim or lawsuit in Tampa. We have the experience to handle even the most complex claims and the financial resources to take on the trucking company as we work toward recovering a settlement for you.
We will use our experience, resources, and knowledge of Florida law to:
- Evaluate your claim
- Help you find medical care
- Investigate what happened
- Prove your case
We will bring in expert witnesses, demonstrate the extent of your injuries, and fight to negotiate a fair settlement for you.
Tampa Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me (813) 259-0022.
Who is Liable for a Tampa Truck Accident?
According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), Florida is one of the 10 states with the most semi-truck crashes. Tampa has more than its share of trucking accidents, partly because of the Port of Tampa. Port Tampa Bay says it is Florida’s largest port and handles more than 37 million tons of cargo each year. In fact, it has an entire roadway system designed to support moving freight from the port to other parts of the country.
The FMCSA requires these truck drivers and their employers to adhere to strict safety standards. Our trucking accident attorneys understand these safety standards and can identify when a defendant has been negligent in adhering to them. This is a common cause of truck crashes.
Identifying the Potentially Liable Parties in a Truck Collision
A personal injury lawyer who does not have enough experience in truck accident law may place all the blame in your case on the truck’s driver. However, liability in most commercial vehicle accident cases is much more complex. There are other potentially liable parties. These include:
- The trucking company: These companies may fail to follow the safety measures the Federal Motor Carrier Act requires.
- The owner of the trailer: In many cases, the trucking company or the truck’s driver does not own the trailer. The company that owns the cargo may also own the trailer, and they may not have properly loaded or maintained it.
- Trucking brokers: If a broker sets up the load, they may be liable for negligence while making the arrangements.
- Truck mechanics: A mechanic may have made a mistake when repairing, inspecting, or diagnosing issues with the truck, or they may have failed to maintain the vehicle adequately.
- Cargo loaders: When a truck’s cargo is not loaded correctly, it can shift and cause an accident.
Vicarious Liability Common in Truck Accident Injury Cases
Sometimes the truck or trailer is defective due to faulty design or because it was altered after being sold. When this happens, the vehicle manufacturer or the entity that altered the vehicle may also be held responsible for your damages.
In addition to these examples of how other parties might be legally responsible, these cases also feature vicarious liability. This is because of a legal doctrine known as respondent superior. It allows us to build a claim against the truck driver’s employer in addition to the driver.
When there is more than one liable party, negotiations can get a lot more complicated. Our Tampa truck accident attorney will coordinate talks with as many parties as it takes to recover fair compensation for you.
Click to contact our Tampa Personal Injury Lawyers today.
Connect with Distasio Law Firm’s Team for Free
You can speak with a member of our Tampa truck accident team for free today. We provide free case assessments and will answer your questions about how to seek and secure compensation for your injuries and expenses.
Call (813) 259-0022 now to talk with us.
Call or text (813) 259-0022 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form.